Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,680   Online: 1209

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Michael;

Another thought I should have mentioned. The green phosphor light can leak around the eye and is bright enough to fog film. Military grade units mask this green light, but the cheaper units do not and will fog film. The phosphor light is right on the peak green sensitivity of many films.

PE

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I shot the emulsion making sequences of the DVD using the IR capability of the camcorder. Yes, you can use such devices for developing by inspection. In fact, we used an IR lamp on a helmet and IR goggles at Kodak to work on some items in total darkness. At the time, these devices cost several thousand dollars.

I think that this little gadget may be great for all of us.

PE
    I have a Russian made night vision scope that gives a very sharp central portion of the image. Now that I think of it, this was one of my reasons for buying it (not very expensive). I was only guessing that it might be usefully in the darkroom - thanks for letting me know that my idea was correct.

I forgot I still had the thing and never really put it to the test. It seems as though I had some doubts about it being used for that because I never heard any discussion, until now.
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I noticed Amazon.com has the EyeClops Night Vision Goggles for $59.99.

I'm tempted to get one to make loading B&W film into reels easier. I have nerve damage in one of my hands and something it would help to see what I'm doing.
    Ronin

"Place your clothes and [cameras] where you can find them in the dark.”
    with apologies to Robert Heinlein

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    I've just come across this thread and have been looking getting one of these "Eyeclops" goggles. Has anyone actually tried this and how is it working?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How would it help in the dark. They don't seem to be IR devices.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Wallmart $50!

believe it.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use an ATN-Viper in the darkroom to develop sheet film, so much fun I hardly want to develop roll film anymore because I don't get to watch it.

I did a sensitometrically-based fog test with TMY-2 and found the stock light would fog the film in 15 minutes so I "attenuated" it with a couple pieces of gray TMY-2 (cutout from the dirt background of a bad rodeo picture). E-6 is transparent to infrared, so black color slides can't be used for the purpose.

I don't find any trouble with the green light leaking around my eyepiece, it's well-designed.

But, I suppose I should do a real safelight test like I've been preaching with motorcycle engines and covering half the sheet of film. At least with a negative / positive process, fog on the film isn't as destructive to the final image as it is for prints.

I imagine the Eyeclops would work "fine" but the issue I would have with it is all the batteries.

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    Bill, is the "stock light' the IR light from the scope? I'm also not sure what you mean by 'attenuated" with the grey TMY-2.
    It seems to be that the Ececlops might not focus too well close-up. Where the Viper focuses as close as 1 ft.
    Seem like a good choice?

david

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With attenuation Bill refers to mounting a neutral grey filter in front of that "stock light" (seemingly that IR-light).
    As he is on the cheap side he substituted the grey filter by pieces cut off from developed b&w film with some density.

That Eyclops seems to be two-focus only.
    Last edited by AgX; 06-14-2013 at 08:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use a Viper and am quite happy with it. The lens cap has a pinhole which I use most of the time for the added depth of field. I can get it to focus at about 18" - beside using it to load sheet film holders, I use it to check development. I use dip tanks so I can pull a sheet out and see if I need to adjust the developing time. I have yet to notice any fogging issues - I am using it without any filter on the IR light.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin