Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,456   Posts: 1,570,575   Online: 899

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    KOG

Shooter
    Multi Format

Cheap night vision device for darkroom use

This might be of interest to darkroom workers.

I saw this article about a cheap night vision toy called "EyeClops".

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9874387-1.html?tag=bl

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    $80!! I'll believe it when I see it.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose
    $80!! I'll believe it when I see it.
    It seems to be a little CCD camera hooked into a viewfinder like those found on camcorders.
    It has a few IR LEDS mounted round the lens.
    $80 would be reasonable for a device like that - you could probably build something similar for a similar amount of cash...
    You could filter the viewfinder with a couple of layers of red gel for paper or dark green for film (to provide a bit of protection from light leaking round the eyecup, or if you dropped it ) - it should be pretty safe for anything other than IR film.
    Lens caps and cable releases can become invisible at will. :D

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    I'm not sure what this thread is about, so I'll ask a question: Is it possible to view the progress of a developing (non IR) negative in total darkness with a night vision scope using the IR illuminator?

I sometimes use a very dilute film developer for "compensating development", w/infrequent agitation, and I'm still guessing about the total development time. I haven't nailed it down yet - results vary.

Thanks,
    Paul
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ben-s View Post
    ...you could probably build something similar for a similar amount of cash...
    You mean like this?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    panastasia: there are threads about doing development by inspection with IR in the archives. I recommend a search.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David; Yes. You don't really need a fancy low lux camera though... A cheap b&w board mounted camera would be perfectly adequate.
    They don't usually fit IR block filters to b&w CCTV cameras as standard, so you don't generally have to modify the camera to see IR.

Paul; Yes. You'd want to watch out for light leaks round the eyepiece though, lest you inadvertently solarize your film
    Lens caps and cable releases can become invisible at will. :D

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by David Grenet View Post
    panastasia: there are threads about doing development by inspection with IR in the archives. I recommend a search.
    Thanks David, I'll do that.

Paul
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shot the emulsion making sequences of the DVD using the IR capability of the camcorder. Yes, you can use such devices for developing by inspection. In fact, we used an IR lamp on a helmet and IR goggles at Kodak to work on some items in total darkness. At the time, these devices cost several thousand dollars.

I think that this little gadget may be great for all of us.

PE

Looks interesting but there are a couple of things that need to be checked out before one would call this a home run. First is the minimum focus distance. The infrared monocle that I use in my darkroom focuses at a minimum distance of about 1.5 inches. Much of your work in the darkoom will be at about your arm distance so I would think that a minimum focus distance of 12 inches or less would be mandatory. Second suggestion is to secure the actual wavelength from the emitted IR light produced by this device. That will tell you if you need to be concerned about fogging film.

All IR devices are produced for another application from gamers to weekend warriors. I must say that I use mine all the time from loading holders to processing sheet film.

Cheers!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin