Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,806   Posts: 1,581,386   Online: 1088

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    Quote Originally Posted by L Gebhardt
    OK, if it is a flash type bulb, how does exposure work - multiple flashes or just change the power? How do you focus?
    I had the same question and the owner says it pulses so fast you can't really even tell it's pulsing, so it's not a problem focusing. One might think it would take a hell of a lot of power to pull something like that off considering the size of the tube. The cabinet which controls the power source resembles a small power station and also weighs a lot. I hope the neighborhood doesn't mind their lights going dim while I print
    It probably won't draw more than a space heater, I've used pulsed xenon plateburners before and they are much more efficient than the old carbon arc types. The power box most likely has an isolation transformer to limit the current to the required levels. If you were to fire up a xenon tube directly from a 220 line you would probably melt your wires and explode the tube. After a tube gets ionised good at startup it's pretty much a dead short on the line.
    What are the specs on the rating plate that should be mounted on the power box?

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    "I have attached a photo of her next to my lpl medium format color enlarger for scale."

Awwww, how cute!! Your enlarger had a baby...

I've been following the thread and am looking forward to the next installment in your adventure. Good luck!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sean, next time I come to Auckland I will bring some Azo and we can play

:-)
    David Boyce

When bankers get together for dinner, they discuss art. When artists get together for dinner, they discuss money. Oscar Wilde Blog fp4.blogspot.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You watch the cops will be on your door thinking you are running a grow operation with all the elecitricity you will be sucking down!! LOL.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by livemoa
    Sean, next time I come to Auckland I will bring some Azo and we can play

:-)

David, that would be awesome! It may be a while before everything is up and running, but I'll drop you a line when it's ready.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    update:

The darkroom (the physical room itself) is finished! Next step is making it 100% light tight and clean (since it used to be a garage there is dirt and dust on everything), then start in with some plumbing and ventilation. Not sure what to do with venting, I want to make 100% sure I'm not getting exposed to anything. I'm thinking a few good extractor units near the sink with a light proof vent on the opposite wall? I'm also trying to get my remaining accessories together. I probably will not be enlarging anytime soon due to cost constraints, so plan to get stuck into 8x10 contact prints for a while.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is the floor still concrete? If it's not sealed or painted that will be a source of dust for a very long time. I've also found the bathroom vent fans with the aluminum expandible tubing does great for the darkroom, just paint the inside of the tube flat black and arrange a few kinks or a loop to block the lights path.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm thinking of putting down a little carpet in the non-darkroom part of the area, and paining the floor in the darkroom area or getting some rubber mats. Would the rubber mats help with static electricity? Thanks for the vent info, sounds good.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I would not worry about the clean part of the darkroom yet. Get all the construction done first. That is plumbing and making it light tight. Is it painted or due to be painted? If so, finish that first. Is the electrical in yet? Do that then worry about the floor. I would tile the floor and then use the rubber mats. Yes, the static electricity will be reduced with the rubber matts.

lee\c

In graphic arts pulsed xenon systems range from 1000 to 6000 watts.

The light is very close to daylight, and it is not heavy in the UV. Metal halide lamps are used for burning plates - well used to be used, now they are burned right on the printing press by a laser. Metal halide graphic arts lamps are doped with various heavy metals so the output spectrum of the lamp falls within the sensitivity spectrum of the material.

The nameplate on the back of the power supply should say what input power it needs. Some require 3-phase, which in the US, is hard to come by domestically.
    Nicholas O. Lindan
    f-stop enlarging timer - http://www.nolindan.com/da/fstop/index.htm

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin