Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,965   Posts: 1,523,317   Online: 1190

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Sean,
    The pulsed Xenon is a nice thing to have. Depending on the lamp wattage, it may even work for enlarging onto Azo paper since the pulsed Xenon is high in near band UV emission. Let us know when you have this beast installed. How large negatives will this handle?
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The only concern I would have is that yes, a garage easily handles a vehicle, but the weight is distributed over a large footprint with each tire supporting roughly 1/4 of the weight.

I would fine the most level spot on the garage floor that is convienent to where you want to work. If you have any cracking of the concreate now, try to determine the area that is falling (this may only be a few mm) and do not place it there. That amount of weight on a small footprint will accelerate the problem.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Large Format
    Most concrete is rated in terms of "mix"...the percentage of cement to aggregate being the determining factor. The "mix" is normally listed in pound denominations. Normally, here in the "states" the lowest "mix" that I have ever encountered is 3500 lb. That would be the weight per square foot that this material would support in a 4 inch thickness. Normally, in the states here again, the minimum thickness allowable for a garage floor would be four inches. Thus if you have questions about the ability of the floor to sustain the load, I would recommend contacting a concrete contractor as to the local codes and material characteristics. Here in the US I would have no reluctance in putting an enlarger of this size on any garage floor which has been installed to "code".
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks guys! I feel a little better now. When it arrives on Monday I'll get out the camcorder and snap a few pics.

"How large negatives will this handle?"

12x12

Quote Originally Posted by Sean

"How large negatives will this handle?"

12x12
    Is that feet or meters-))))

Quote Originally Posted by dnmilikan
    Normally, here in the "states" the lowest "mix" that I have ever encountered is 3500 lb. That would be the weight per square foot that this material would support in a 4 inch thickness. Normally, in the states here again, the minimum thickness allowable for a garage floor would be four inches. .
    If there's a code governing concrete slabs in Dallas, it has little apparent effect on how well the slabs hang together. I wouldn't hesitate to park a truck or an enlarger in my garage, but I wouldn't be at all surpised to see some new cracks in the floor if I did. A slab on shifting soil has to be really thick and/or tied together to resist flexure cracking. I think the codes are based on lab tests of the compression it takes to shatter a block of concrete.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    what a nightmare. The moving company couldn't get the truck all the way down my driveway, so they've just left it in my driveway siting they've done all they can do! The idiots! It's about to rain, I've got my wife hauling butt to the hardware store to get some tarps and am praying she makes it in time. Meanwhile I have to arrange another company coming out with a forklift to load it in the garage from the driveway. How do I get myself into these messes!! UGH!

Images
    Oh, what we put ourselves through in the name of Art...
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've calmed my nerves a little after remembering I have contents insurance. If it all turns to custard I'll just write it off. I just spent an hour trying to find someone in my area that operates a mini-tractor with forks on it.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin