Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,635   Online: 982

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    ok, sent the wife out to buy some tarps because it's the rainy season. I came home to a massive thing laying in my driveway covered with the tarp. I spent an hour making sure it was tented and water tight. THIS THING IS SO HUGE. I've never seen an enlarger this big and didn't even know they made them this big. It's a lot larger than I thought it would be. The vacuum easel is 3 ft 9 inches by 3ft 9 inches. The light diffusion panel below the light source is almost larger than my TV at 24 x 19 inches! So I think this puppy could enlarge 11x14 easy? The shaft is massive like the column on a full size forklift, and has an array of motorcycle like chains running through it which must raise and lower the head. The control box is big too and the fan ducting is around 1ft in diameter hook to two large old heavy motors. There's also a large motor which must raise and lower the head and provide suction for the easel. It's all in very good shape which is a relief. The pulse xenon tube is huge, and it came with a brand new unused tube packed in a special box, it looks very fragile. I found a guy with a small tractor with forks so am going to see if he can get out here tomorrow and ease it into the garage. This is all pretty exciting! Can't wait to fire her up!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sean,

Good luck with this project! If it all works out you could end up being the ULF printer in your hemisphere! You could do the printing for others or rent out time for others to print their 11by14s or 12by20 or whatever. This could be the start of a business for you. With those big motors you mentioned, you may have to have an additional industrial electrical service installed. Please keep us informed!
    Frank
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds as though you need the crane that I hired to move my darkroom. When you get it sorted and worjing can you post a photograph.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Sean,
    At this point I am not sure that you are particularly looking for additional work but what Frank said is true. Along those lines, there is a photographer here in the states (Chicago) that is using a behometh such as yours to enlarge ULF negs for other photographers.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How about a standard sized pallet jack if it's on a pallet? Easy to move a good sized load with that.

Images
    It is starting to look like it might be cheaper to build a darkroom around the enlarger where it sits.
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That's a good idea, lol!

Well, a guy is coming by in an hour with a little tractor thingy which has forks on it and he'll move it into the garage. I was glad to see the column is attached to the base (I thought it wasn't going to be attached). So my plan is to have a house party next month and while everyone is there grab 10 guys and have them help me raise it upright and move it into place.

Les, I'll definitely post some pics once it is setup.

I've been told by a camera dealer in town that he knows several LF and ULF photogs that would rent time on an enlarger like that. So it will be interesting to see if I can make a little money out of it. I also have a Zone VI 5x7 enlarger which I'll place next to it. I thought my ZoneVI was a huge enlarger, the photos of the two side by side will be entertaining.

Does anyone know much about pulse xenon enlarging? I assume that the bulb operates in a strobe light fashion, so am curious if this will pose a challenge with focusing, etc?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    any chance you have something to set beside it for scale when you take the pictures? (A person would be great, see if your wife would like to model the new darkroom area) I have a 4x5 enlarger and have never even seen a 5x7 so I won't have much frame of reference.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yeah, I'll have someone stand next to it. I'm off to the states for 3 weeks this Friday on vacation. I plan to have it setup a few weeks after we get back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does anyone know much about pulse xenon enlarging? I assume that the bulb operates in a strobe light fashion, so am curious if this will pose a challenge with focusing, etc?
    Yeah, Sean. You have to focus really fast!

Frank
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin