Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,606   Online: 885

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

JOBO CPP-2 motor just died

I was just about to try unsharp masking for the first time. I had my masks exposed and loaded in my expert drum, everything was tempered to 20°C and ready to go. When I mounted the expert drum and turned on the rotation motor, nothing happened - the motor just seemed to have died.

Everything else (heater, pump) seems to be working fine. I read the guide about how to check the fuse, and got to the point of having the motor head removed. But the next step involves removing the seal tape with the scary remark that it can probably be re-used if removed carefully, so I am reluctant to continue.

Since I just bought this unit new several months ago, I will contact them and hopefully will just be able to replace the motor head. But I will miss having the unit until it is repaired or replaced. Could it be something really simple that I should try myself? Has anyone had a similar problem?
    Hal

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    possibly the motor speed board is bad and not the motor its own self.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The most simple thing is to check the fuse, and that's certainly the first place to start assuming the unit powers up otherwise. The seal tape can likely be replace with something similar, if necessary. The units I've worked with have no tape.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Since the unit is still under warranty I will give the place I bought it from (Brenner Foto) a call tomorrow and see if they will just replace the motor unit. It seems there a quite a few disassembly steps before I can reach the fuses and I don't want to break or lose anything along the way.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well I just couldn't go to bed without checking the fuse, so I did. The fuse is fine (tested with an ohm-meter). When I was reassembling, I checked along the way and the motor worked. Then I completely reassembled, and now the motor doesn't work again. Go figure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Please check the motor switch where it is attached to the circuit board. One of the contacts is probably broken or only making contact when the top housing is not in place. I've only looked at heads with serial numbers under 13'000 and the switches have no additional mechanical support, just the solder tabs, so they are easily broken.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My guess is that the relay assembly at the other end of the three-fingered cam actuator needs to be cleaned. The contacts there are open to the air, and occasionally water, grudge and like that, will prevent them from contacting each other.
    Access to that contact assembly is a bitch... I know, I've done that three times, now. The control unit has to be removed. The top half is then separated from the bottom, gingerly, making *sure* all screws have been removed, **gently** as possible, pry the top half from the bottom, through the sealing goo. TAKE YOUR TIME!!! Once apart, look for those contacts at the other end of the three-finger shaft. They are miserably tough to access, but with tweezers, needle-nosed pliers, a LOT of cursing, and patience, a slip of paper run between the contacts (three pairs) a few times should clean them out sufficiently.
    The top of the unit can then be re-sealed to the bottom with ... I don't know - I think I used silicone.

All that said, if the unit is under warranty I'd send it back. Packing it up and shipping costs will be far worth far less than all the frustration and time, and doing it yourself will most probably void the warranty.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well I phoned JOBO today in Gummersbach and was surprised to find that the first person who answered the phone was quite competent. She told me how to dismount the motor head and to send it for warranty repair, which I did this evening. With a little luck I'll have it back in a week or two.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I got my my motor assembly back today, works fine. Apparently it was a problem with the switch board. BTW, JOBO sent it to fotolaborservice for repair, they don't do analog service themselves anymore.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin