Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,162   Online: 1101

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Holliday View Post
    I'll keep an eye on larger prints Alan...thanks. I thought the AF was lost when the lens was changed. I'm still loving the novelty of AF. Using the grain magnifier to check that it is still in focus is half the fun! I'll be in the market for a medium format IIC in a few months time.

I had thought of buying a multigrade head for the V35, but I feel there is more control with the colour head allowing you to tweak between small changes of magenta and yellow.

The only thing that is missing is an under the lens filter holder. I miss the safelight filter when making spilt grade burning-ins. I'm not sure what options are available...might have to do a DIY job on it.
    Hello Gary,

The AF isn't lost it just might not work as expected; that is, keeping the grain sharp as the head is moved. The Schneider optic I swapped the original lens for is a 40mm so the AF is still pretty close. I'm sure there are differences, though, because this enlarger was engineered for the Leitz 40mm lens. Anyway, in my testing even using the original lens I found the AF to be very slightly off. Of course, this could be that the AF was malfunctioning slightly on my unit but it didn't concern me because focussing with that helical mount is absolute precision compared to, say, my Beseler 45! Plus, I've been using a grain magnifier for so long I'd be lost without it!

One thing I still enjoy about the AF system is that the image stays relatively in focus as the head is moved. To me, this makes it much easier and faster to get actual printing.

I've never used the color head for VC printing...note to darkroom mole: try the friggin color head!

Thanks!
    Regards,
    Alan Huntley
    www.silverscapephoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Rob,

Not sure what the difference is between the APO-Componon HM 40mm and the WA-Componon 40mm, but I've never seen any hint of uneven illumination in my prints from the V35. Could be because I use the VC head which is built pretty much like the color head, albeit with slightly different filters and neither contain condensers that I know of. I've printed 35mm on a number of enlargers over the years and IMO no unit comes close to the V35 in terms of precision and edge-to-edge, corner-to-corner sharpness of the grain structure.
    Regards,
    Alan Huntley
    www.silverscapephoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've also picked up a used one recently, does anyone have a link to a user manual, I'm not sure if the AF is working or not.

Thanks

Fintan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Fintan View Post
    I've also picked up a used one recently, does anyone have a link to a user manual, I'm not sure if the AF is working or not.

Thanks

Fintan
    Hi Fintan
    I used the link given in the previous post but it didn't help with the AF really. It tells you how the adjust the AF when 1st focussing manually - which is useful, but if it doesn't stay in focus when you change magnification it doesn't tell you what to do.
    I rang the folk at leica (via google). They were helpful and sent me a photocopy of the manual (which also didn't help with the AF problem I had).
    Speak to Nobby Clarke. The number is on their website.
    Tim

Shooter
    Medium Format

returning V35 - who goes first?

Re the V35 I recently bought on Ebay and discussed in this thread earlier:
    I have checked its functions with a leica collector friend of mine and confirmed the above mentioned faults, so I notified the seller I wish to return it and he agrees but wants it back before refunding my cash as he isn't sure of his protection as a seller (I think it's his first time). I naturally would prefer my refund before returning the enlarger - so what is the norm here? Anybody been in this situation?
    Tim

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You would normally return the goods as you would with any retailer and ask for proof of posting from the post office.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by tim rudman View Post
    Re the V35 I recently bought on Ebay and discussed in this thread earlier:
    I have checked its functions with a leica collector friend of mine and confirmed the above mentioned faults, so I notified the seller I wish to return it and he agrees but wants it back before refunding my cash as he isn't sure of his protection as a seller (I think it's his first time). I naturally would prefer my refund before returning the enlarger - so what is the norm here? Anybody been in this situation?
    Tim
    You trusted him to send you the thing AFTER you had paid him so why wouldn't you trust him to return your money if he says he will. I guess you will loose shipping costs as you would with any mail order operation but that may depend on his wording of the ad. But if you want to argue about that and he thinks you are going to give him bad feedback, then there is no incentive for him to take the thing back. i.e. he will be looking to maintain his feedback rating if he intends to sell more stuff from ebay. So play it softly softly, get the price of the enlarger back and everyone should be happy(ish).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rob champagne View Post
    You trusted him to send you the thing AFTER you had paid him so why wouldn't you trust him to return your money if he says he will. I guess you will loose shipping costs as you would with any mail order operation but that may depend on his wording of the ad. But if you want to argue about that and he thinks you are going to give him bad feedback, then there is no incentive for him to take the thing back. i.e. he will be looking to maintain his feedback rating if he intends to sell more stuff from ebay. So play it softly softly, get the price of the enlarger back and everyone should be happy(ish).
    Yes I'm sure you are right. He seems a really nice guy.
    I guess that as I paid him so promptly and he sent me faulty goods, I feel a bit miffed at the implication that he doesn't trust me!
    Tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd feel the same Tim, how much would it cost to ship it back to the seller may I ask ? Just wondering...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin