Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,127   Online: 912

Shooter
    Medium Format

Enlarger timer lead

I was given this enlarger timer and need some help identifying the make? I was wondering if it is a De vere timer?..it seems familiar.

Is it possible to obtain the 3 pin plug lead which will allow this timer to be attached to the enlarger's mains lead ?

I have a very old looking lead, but would rather try and buy a new one.

Thanks for any help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 25-02-08_1528.jpg   25-02-08_1527.jpg  

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    The 3-pin plug is bound to be available somewhere. In the US we would look at McMasters catalog, but much more detailed information is necessary to identify it.There must be a business in the UK which carries a wide variety of specialty electrical items.
    Good luck!
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All the UL cords in the states that might fit that have a shroud on the male end ("Q" on the pdf). If it were mine I would just replace the outlets with more common ones. Assuming the innards can handle the voltage and current of your enlarger. http://www.mouser.com/catalog/633/1051.pdf

One oddball thing is that this might be a dedicated low voltage timer, for a 12-24v halogen lamp. They may have made it so a 'mains' line can't plug into it.

Is there a cord for the unit to plug into something?
    Last edited by ic-racer; 02-25-2008 at 10:48 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Holliday View Post
    I was given this enlarger timer and need some help identifying the make? I was wondering if it is a De vere timer?..it seems familiar.

Is it possible to obtain the 3 pin plug lead which will allow this timer to be attached to the enlarger's mains lead ?

I have a very old looking lead, but would rather try and buy a new one.

Thanks for any help.
    Gary - these look like a discontinued connector type originally made by Bulgin. I think you'd be lucky to find suitable plugs now. My best suggestion would be to replace them with a modern equivalent - go to http://www.rapidonline.com and type 23-3102 in the search box for an example. Does the timer have a rating plate or anything else that might identify the maker on it?
    Regards,
    Richard.

RH Designs - My Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Does your old lead have a molded on cable end? Also check the pin spacing to the belden type cord on your computer.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Richard, I opened it up and it appears to be an old Bulgin timer made in Gt Britain? When was the last time you saw that!

The connector looks as if it needs the male end of a 'kettle lead' so if I can find a standard electrical mains plug to male IEC.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post

One oddball thing is that this might be a dedicated low voltage timer, for a 12-24v halogen lamp. They may have made it so a 'mains' line can't plug into it.
    My electrical skills are almost zero so whether I can plug a mains lead in, I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob-D659 View Post
    Does your old lead have a molded on cable end? Also check the pin spacing to the belden type cord on your computer.
    Just remembered that the old lead was not suitable after I checked it...was given to me in error.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Holliday View Post
    Richard, I opened it up and it appears to be an old Bulgin timer made in Gt Britain? When was the last time you saw that!

The connector looks as if it needs the male end of a 'kettle lead' so if I can find a standard electrical mains plug to male IEC.
    I didn't know Bulgin ever made anything like that - I only know them as a connector manufacturer! As for made in GB, well the StopClock says "made in England" on it

The pins do indeed look like the same configuration as a kettle lead, but there's nowhere for the plug shroud to go - IEC sockets have a slot surrounding the pins as shown here.. Removing the plug shroud might work but there are serious safety issues with that and I strongly advise against it.
    Regards,
    Richard.

RH Designs - My Photography

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You are most likely correct that it just Bulgin connectors. Thought you might appreciate the Made in Britain remark :lol:

When I checked your link for rapidonline I couldn't see a suitable IEC so this timer will probably collect some dust.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin