Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,945   Posts: 1,557,737   Online: 1087

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Paterson 35mm developing tank problem.

Hi

I recently bought a Paterson tank for developing single 35mm films. It didnt come with a central column like the multiple reel tanks I have but the seller said it wasnt needed. I tried a film in it and it was fogged, I dont think it could have been fogged prior to processing so I now wonder if the tank should have come with a central column? Any ideas?

Thanks

Ritchie

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    All Paterson tanks need a central black plastic core, into which the funnel built into the lid projects, thus creating a light trap. Fogging is inevitable without this!

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All Paterson tanks need a centre column, and always have. You were conned.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Agreed; looks like the seller was talking s***e!
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Center column is must. And as I know Paterson tankscome with with center column included (atleas mine two System 4 tanks are), so question is who removed it from box?

Center column not only block light (eliminate fogging), but with holding reel in place it also prevent reel to float when tank is filled with chemicals, and moving of reel when tank is turned during processing, and thus prevent from bad development even if film is not fogged.
    Last edited by haris; 02-28-2008 at 07:47 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    you can pick up one at B&H.

what a jerk that seller was.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

Ritchie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know if anyone else noticed but the center coulmn from the Super System 4 is slightly longer the the old System 4.
    I have both type of tanks and I use the old System 4 as I don't seem to like the Super one.
    One day while screwing down the lid tightly I heard a crunching and the tank started leaking at the bottom. Sure enough I cracked the bottom of my System 4 tank.
    When I finished I compared the columns and found the slight difference in height. This is what cracked the bottom of my tank. I supler glued the crack and now it stopped leaking. And, now I apy attention to make sure I don't mix up the columns.

So, keep that in mind if you have an old System 4 tank but get a colun for a Super System 4 tank.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I was chatting to the Paterson guys at a trade show this week and spares for most Paterson items are available if you contact them direct on 0121 520 4830 (UK) or via www.patersonphotographic.com.
    However, nothing available for the old System 4 tanks I'm afraid - I checked as I have two large tanks with no lids!

You can purchase the foam mats for their contact frames though, which is what I was after as mine have perished. It's good to know that not all things need to be consigned to the bin when they wear out.
    Roy
    ----------------
    Real Photographs | Weeping Ash U.K.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "We cannot compete with those English fellows."
    - overheard by Alfred Stieglitz at the Joint Exhibition, New York City, 1891.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Is it what you are talking about ?

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_pro...t_id=&pid=1386
    - Note to self: Next time processing a film, take notice of the shape of the beer bottle and the shape of the fixer bottle, and note the differences. -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin