Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,184   Posts: 1,658,815   Online: 632

Thread: Hardware

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Hardware

Hello all, i have been thinking on the thoughts of, machine processing.
    Jobo, Nova, any thoughts. I have all ways done processing as heat the chemicals up with a fish tank heater and never really had bad results, but there is all all ways room for better.

Would this make the process more the easier or tools for what shall i spend on this week.

Graham

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Graham,

I use a Jobo processor (CPP-2) for B&W, C41, and E6 (6 bath) processing, and find it quite a relaxing way to do my processing. It is fitted with a lift, which makes filling, and emptying a doddle. With this I process 35mm, 120, and 4x5 film in film tanks (actually a mixture of film and print tanks), and 5x7 in print tanks. If you did go with a Jobo system, which drums to buy would depend very much on which formats/paper sizes you want to process.

I rarely process paper using the Jobo, normally only doing 16x20 this way (I am a bit restricted for tray space at the moment), but I have a drying cabinet where I can quickly dry drums, though (thanks to digital) I have picked up a lot of drums for very reasonable prices second-hand.

One issue with processing sheet film in print tanks, is the possibility of getting hot streaks due to bromide drag. I have never encountered this, but have started adding a manual agitation step every couple of minutes. To do this I stop the rotation, take the drum off, and give one rotation whilst rocking the drum gently end-to-end. As I say, I never had this problem before I started doing the manual intervention, but I would rather do a little more work, and get good negatives every time.
    Steve

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision" - Maxi Jazz

Website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Morning Steve. Thank you for a very full report, there is many types of Jobo, as you have mentioned the one you use,
    is of good advice. I have found a few at SHD for 170, is this a bit much or what to expect. I am sold on what you have said.
    On top of this i was looking at a Nova deep tanks for the prints, very little chemical needed when in use, and very little time to
    set up, and very small amount of space taken, 16x20. is in mind.

I only do 35/120 film and do not see any upgrade at the moment, we all say that.

Graham.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin