Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,248   Online: 995

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for the information everybody.

I already have an LPL 6700 enlarger for everything up to 6x7 so any problems with a 50mm lens on 35mm film don't really matter. I will build this enlarger just for 4x5 (or 5x4 as we call it over here - no idea why it's different!). I will then make negative holders for 6x9, and 6x12 as well.

Initially I will use a diffused light source and include a tray for contrast filters but I may play around with blue and green LEDs as well.

I have done some initial tests using a negative taped to a small Jessops 5"x4" light box and a 105mm lens and it seems promising. Somewhere I have a Wray 4 1/2" enlarging lens but I cant find it at the moment. The 105mm lens seems to show all of the negative though so will probably be fine for my initial tests.

I have the bellows and focussing rack from a long deceased 9x12cm camera so all I need to work out now is a base, column and some way of moving the enlarger head up and down the column. I am thinking of using a square section with register pins with holes every 1/2" or so. Not as convenient as a wind up and down mechanism but should be useable, especially if it is only used for 4x5 on standard paper sizes.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have an 8x10 enlarger that I made from a broken wooden 8x10 field camera. Since I almost always print full neg I decided to keep the camera part solid and made shelves at the exact right height to give me 11x14 or 16x20 with border and 16x20 full bleed. The only thing that moves on the enlarger/camera is the focus. For the negative holder I use two pieces of glass that fit exactly into the camera back after removing the part with the ground glass. It all works suprisingly well. I had a good day with the table saw I guess. I made it from wood including the light head which is a box holding 6 soft decorative light bulbs above a sheet of transluscent plastic for diffusion. The only problem is the size of the thing which requires I get down on my knees to focus.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Oh I got so carried away bragging about my 8x10 enlarger I forgot to make the point that I found the bellows to be a pain in the rear and ended up removing them and replacing them with plain black cloth that had no tendency to affect the alignment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Put a 4x5 camera on a tripod, pointing down. Configure/design a frame to hold the negative. Insert it in the camera and backlight the negative. It's a simple enlarger. (with movements)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DannL View Post
    Put a 4x5 camera on a tripod, pointing down. Configure/design a frame to hold the negative. Insert it in the camera and backlight the negative. It's a simple enlarger. (with movements)
    That is quite a good option as I'm also currently building another 4x5 camera too. The old one does not fold up and is a bit bulky which would make it an ideal candidate for an enlarger conversion.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In all actuality you can eliminate the tripod. Early enlargers were also on the horizontal. You can make a horizontal rail. As long as you can keep the paper secured on the vertical.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You'll like this . . . Wilson's Photographic Magazine

http://books.google.com/books?id=tq8...amera&as_brr=1

Especially pages 173 thru 175, using the window in you home.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin