Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,411   Online: 1104

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bartley View Post
    Hey !!!!!!!!! That's me there - #2 on the list of ABS tube sites !!

Mine work just dandy, and yes ... it's nice to be able to have them stand up on their own. It's also nice to have extra fluid caps, so that you can just switch your film tube from one chemical to the next without having to drain and pour between each step.

cheers and good luck.

John
    John yours were the first ones I was going to build. Your page was quite entertaining and well put together.

However, I got confused with the fact that they were sooooo long. Is the reason you make them that long so that you can stand them up full of chemistry and not roll them around in a water bath with 2 oz of developer? I didnt' understand how that worked as far as agitation and stuff went so I put them off fro the next time. Besides, with 2 additional connectors each they were the more expensive of the ones to build, and I figured I better understand them first before doign the more expensive choice.

I liked the male and female things, and that woudl seem to be easier to open and close than a friction fit, but I am goign to wait until I curse the friction fit to accept that logic.

Yours will no doubt be the next design I try.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe View Post
    Jerold, of course the hour away happens to coincide with where my daughter lives...
    I understand. I wasn't trying to give you a hard time, just making a point that sometimes equipment seems ridiculously overpriced until you consider the alternative.

I appreciate the pleasure factor of doing everything, or as much as is reasonably possible, by oneself. Fly fishing can be that way: tying flies, building fly rods, getting there, finding fish. Haven't figured out how to make the fish yet.
    Jerold Harter MD

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe View Post
    John yours were the first ones I was going to build. Your page was quite entertaining and well put together.

However, I got confused with the fact that they were sooooo long. Is the reason you make them that long so that you can stand them up full of chemistry and not roll them around in a water bath with 2 oz of developer? I didnt' understand how that worked as far as agitation and stuff went so I put them off fro the next time. Besides, with 2 additional connectors each they were the more expensive of the ones to build, and I figured I better understand them first before doign the more expensive choice.

I liked the male and female things, and that woudl seem to be easier to open and close than a friction fit, but I am goign to wait until I curse the friction fit to accept that logic.

Yours will no doubt be the next design I try.
    Absinthe,

When I made mine, I wanted to be able to carry enough fluid that I could do stand or semi-stand or a water soak, as well as do a normal development. That was the reason for the long tubes. I realise that most folks are trying for minimum quantities of fluids in the tubes, probably because they are using their chemicals as "one-shot", but I use extended D-23 as a development process, and so I reuse it and reuse it and reuse it.....etc and I'm not worried about using a minimum amount in the tube.

Being able to do a presoak was a nice bonus as I ran into the problem of water streaks on the emulsion (from putting dry film into a wet tube), and doing a one minute presoak solved that instantly.

To stand my tubes up I will be using a wooden block with holes drilled in it the same size as the OD of the tubes and about 1" deep.

cheers, good luck, and have fun!!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    John, I am thinking that if I get a bunch of white PVC of the size that is larger than the OD of the pipe cap I can join a bunch of them across the tub that I will use for the water bath and be able to stand them up in that.. Not sure but it sounds good

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Jerold, I didn't take it as giving me a hard time, sometimes things in forums come across witht the wrong tone because you can't see my face or hear my inflectios etc.

I follow what you were saying, just not agreeing in this particular case that they will be more expensive than the bought ones. Other equipment definitely, but these things are damn near dirt cheap.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You can also just take a piece of wood, drill some hole large enough to stand the tubes up in the holes.
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin