Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,492   Posts: 1,542,972   Online: 882

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Thermostat for an old Seal Dry Mount Press

Does anyone know how difficult or expensive it will be to get a thermostat for an old Seal dry mount press. Its an "old brown one" that's 18x22 with a loose top plate where the thermostat is mounted and the thermostat is no good. It was described to me as being a bi-metal thermostat. That's the best description I can give. It's mine for $75 but I want to check on the cost of replacing the thermostat; the platten is in good shape.

I did a google search for Seal Bienfang but am not coming up with a web site for them, does anyone know what it is?

thanks
    Chuck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Chuck,
    It is pretty hard to mess up that kind of thermostat. I'll bet that if you clean the contacts with fine emery paper, it will probably work. The contacts become pitted with time because of arcing and finally will not make a good connection. A visual inspection of the contacts would confirm this.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi,

I got a replacemet for the one in my old Ademco here
    here

You may look up a suitable type and ask them whether they deliver abroad.

Ulrich

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Seal co. is excellent for parts. I have a press form the early 60's and about two years ago I was able to get the thermostat and rubber pad. I don't remember where they are located but it shouldn't be difficult to find out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can go to Bienfang directly - but they only stock parts for current presses. Their website is www.forframersonly.com/
    If you want parts for older presses you'll have to call a company called On Site Maintenance. They stock original parts for all seal presses - I think they bought the old Seal company's existing inventory. Their phone number is 866.667.4836.

That being said, if you are comfortable with it - the easier and cheaper way is probably to find an equivalent thermostat online. Bimetal thermostats are a VERY common sort. You just have to find one with similar specs and mounting and drop it in.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My Seal 200 stopped working when the thermostat knob felt like it had disconnected from the mechanism. I disassembled the power box (under the plate with the two lights) and removed the thermostat. Be careful not to drop a screw inside the platen through the hole under the thermostat. The control shaft was sticking, so I lubricated it with a high-temperature molybdenum spray. Burnished the contacts with a narrow strip of 600 grit "sandpaper" (used for polishing metal) folded so the grit was on both sides. You have to pry the contacts apart slightly (with a screwdriver, for example) to insert the grit strip. a few in-and-out moves burnished the contacts. A strip of mat board then wiped out the residual grit and dust (don't skip this step). After reassembly the press works again. Calibrated the temperature scale with an oven thermometer, the kind with the probe on the end of a cable. Fifty years ago the mechanical designs were built to last :-)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Some good info here.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    To check temperature I've been using a laser thermometer i picked up for $20.

Start the press at the 200deg mark. Let the press heat till the light goes out then read the platen temp. Advance the knob to a higher setting n let it heat till the light goes out.

Repeat this process till you get your desired temp. Once you get it, mark the setting n temp on the dial.

Bi metal thermostats are hardly ever accurate but once you found your temp, there is no need to ever reset it.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Most framing supply wholesalers stock replacement thermostats for older models. But you're going to pay more for one than the bargain price
    on that old press.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin