Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,651   Online: 1128

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Kodak made safelights for candles in the early 20th C. You see some on e-Bay from time to time. They were a candle holder on a firm base with a square ?metal? hurricane on three sides, and a ruby glass on one side.

Just what you need: a soot-producing, oxygen-sucking, incendiary device in your darkroom. Does sound romantic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckled Edge View Post
    . . . Just what you need: a soot-producing, oxygen-sucking, incendiary device in your darkroom. Does sound romantic.
    I suppose the soot floating around the room would act as carbon filtration, absorbing the fumes from darkroom chemicals just prior to inhalation. Wear a dust mask.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Ole - Andy K just gave the answer for using candles in flammable environments like with wet plates. Use a Davey Lamp, invented by Sir Humphrey Davey, which has a wire mesh around the flame to prevent it from igniting the surrounding atmosphere. A little ether in the air would just make your Davey Lamp burn a little brighter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davy_lamp

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckled Edge View Post
    Just what you need: a soot-producing, oxygen-sucking, incendiary device in your darkroom. Does sound romantic.
    What about clogging up that other filter (nose) with the air-born black crap?

White developing trays should have a nice patina after awhile.
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    Multi Format
    scented candles may work best

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cotdt View Post
    i have air vents. i want to replace my red safelights with candles because they are more romantic. there will be love songs playing the the background while i print.
    Stick with the red safelights. Having your own red light district should be romantic enough.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin