Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,559   Posts: 1,545,254   Online: 839

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 23mjm View Post
    Take the roller base apart and disenable the mechanism that causes it to change directions. I have read that it is a cam and a switch. I am thinking about going this direction too, tired of tray development. I own a Cibachrome base that only turns in one direction. I have read from many posts on this site and others that the one direction rotation causes no issues with uneven development. If you are really worried you can flip the drum over every minute.
    That's a good idea. I think I'll give it a try. No, I wouldn't worry about it turning only one direction the whole time. The motion of the liquids inside would still seem to be pretty chaotic. Besides, I don't worry about much - no point.

Are you going to fill the drum with a funnel on the base while rotating or just fill it on the counter and stick it on the base? I also read that a pre-soak is a must if that helps.
    OK, This turns out to be important. Yesterday, I just set the drum upright on the counter and poured the liquids straight in with a funnel....bad idea! BIG MESS!!! Turns out, you gottta tilt it a litte bit. Doesn't matter if you're using a funnel or not.

So, I'm going to modify the roller base so it doesn't change directions and I'll just take the drum off the base when it's time to dump and fill. No big deal. This will be so sweet to get working.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Brad--thanks for the filling heads up.

Let me know how it goes---I will get one sooner or later just have to part with the cash

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Brad, following up on your question about the 2840 drum. I use those for processing four sheets of 5x7 at a time, in my case on a CPP2, but it will be OK on the CPE.
    Steve

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision" - Maxi Jazz

Website

Shooter
    35mm
    More trivia:

1. One liter of fluid for all steps.
    2. 5 minute pre-soak.
    3. Wal-Mart sells a 1 liter funnel with an open-close valve and plastic delivery tube in the automotive section. It's perfect for filling as the drum turns.

Good luck!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Venchka----Do you really think that it is necessary to fill as the drum turns??? I have been wondering that ever since I decided to get one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 28xx series drums are compatible with a CPE, only expert drums are not, so far as I know.

http://www.jobo.com/jobo_service_ana...870,%202840%5D

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I took one apart and found a little tab that rotates and hits a switch -- that then reverses to motor, until the tab sweeps around the other direction and hits the switch again. I just bent the tab so it could not hit the switch and it no long changes direction.

Vaughn
    In addition to the Uniroller base, there are other brands - some that reverse direction and some that don't. For example, Beseler makes two models of motor bases - the 8921 and 8922. The 8921 is unidirectional. The 8922 has a switch that lets you select either unidirectional (continuous) or reversing operation.

The Beseler motor bases also have a couple other nice features lacking on the Uniroller. They have a leveling wheel on the base that lets you raise or lower one side to get it perfectly level and keep the drum from walking off the base during use. A related feature is there is a small "channel" that mates with a band on the Beseler (or Chromega) drums that also keeps the drums centered on the base and prevents them from walking off the base during rotation.

One other significant difference is the Beseler bases rotate at about 2x the speed of the Uniroller. That may be an issue for some developers that suffer from oxidation with excess agitation. Of course RPM on these motor bases is a function of the diameter of the drum being used. For a large drum, like the Jobo expert drums it's about 30 RPM. With smaller diameter print drums (like the 8x10 Unidrums, Beseler and Chromega) the RPM with the Beseler base is about 60 RPM.

Kerry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've always put the chemicals in while the drum is turning using a flexible funnel. But I have heard of others who just pour the chemicals in while the drum is standing on end and they have no problems. The easy way is to defeat the reversing switch and turn it over by hand every so often. Or just try it one way. Again some people seem to be Ok without reversing. I did it the hard way and added some electronics to control the reverse so it turns 2 reveolutions each way. Seems to be lots of ways to use the base and drum. Do a search here and the large format forum as this seems to be a common topic for many years.

Shooter
    35mm

Imitating the Jobo processors

Venchka----Do you really think that it is necessary to fill as the drum turns??? I have been wondering that ever since I decided to get one?
    I don't know about necessary, but the funnel cost less than $2 and it sure makes me feel better. I set my timer with an extra 30 seconds, start the Uniroller, start the timer, get the funnel and hose in position and pour the developer at the start of my developing time. I repeat the process for my water stop bath dumping the developer with about 45 seconds left on the timer. The stop goes in the rotating tank when the developing time is done. So far it works for me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Venchka--Thanks for the reply. Sounds logical to me and if it is no trouble to do it that way--then why not.

Have you ever tried only using a half liter of chems? I have read were people say a half liter works just fine and some recommend a full liter--it seams 50/50.

Thank you MM

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin