Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,551   Posts: 1,573,113   Online: 741

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Jobo Expert drum on Unicolor roller base.

So, I get a Jobo 3006 and Unicolor roller base. I thought that this would be a slick way to do 5x7's.

Although the drum fits on the rollers, it seems like it doesn't make it all the way around before changing directions. Obviously, this is no good....

I've got a Jobo CPE processor and the Expert drums dont fit in there at all....

What's a guy to do?

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't know what the diameter of the your 3006 drum is, but I use a 3010 drum on a Uniroller. It has 5 "tubes" for film. I load 6 sheets into 3 tubes and set the tank on the Uniroller with the space between the two empty tubes at top dead center. Each empty tube gets almost to bottom dead center when the motor reverses. I get very even development and I'm going to try 8 sheets adding one sheet to each of the empty tubes. I figured all this out by placing the 3010 tank on the Uniroller without the lid. I stuffed different color wash cloths in the tubes and watched what happened.

Also, there is a way to bypass the switch that changes direction. Someone more clever than I will have to explain that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post

Although the drum fits on the rollers, it seems like it doesn't make it all the way around before changing directions. Obviously, this is no good....
    Are you sure ? Stick some paper in it and test. A quick test print should give you a quick test and if it doesn't work you'll only waste a sheet of 5x7.

Shooter
    35mm
    Oh, you're processing 5x7 prints? OK, for that use, I picked up a Jobo 2840 print drum with the tank base, lid, print light trap and red stopper for $18 at the same time I bought the Uniroller for $20. I know the 2840 makes a complete revolution per each direction change. I think that drum will handle 4 5x7 sheets.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Yeah. I'm sure. I simply set the empty drum on the roller and watched the label. It doesn't make it all the way. I did end up using it as, I only had two sheets to process. I did exactly what Venchka suggested, loaded the two tubes away from the label and made sure to set the drum on the rollers so that the label was always visible - 'up'. It worked but, It's like having a capacity of six and only being able to use five.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Oh, you're processing 5x7 prints? OK, for that use, I picked up a Jobo 2840 print drum with the tank base, lid, print light trap and red stopper for $18 at the same time I bought the Uniroller for $20. I know the 2840 makes a complete revolution per each direction change. I think that drum will handle 4 5x7 sheets.
    Well, no, I'm processing 5x7 sheet film but, what you describe seems like it would work for film too. Even better, I think the 2840 might work in the CPE too. ...anybody know for sure?

Shooter
    35mm
    Brad, try setting the empty drum on the roller with the lid off and see where each tube ends up when the direction reverses. I also noticed that over a period of 9-10 minutes (my time for HP5+ in D-76 1:1), that the drum "walks" enough on the rollers that the tubes that started out on top ended up near the bottom & vice versa. I wish Jobo made a clear lid so you could see what's happening with the liquid. Anyway, try a sheet of film in the top tube with the label UP when you start and see what happens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Take the roller base apart and disenable the mechanism that causes it to change directions. I have read that it is a cam and a switch. I am thinking about going this direction too, tired of tray development. I own a Cibachrome base that only turns in one direction. I have read from many posts on this site and others that the one direction rotation causes no issues with uneven development. If you are really worried you can flip the drum over every minute.

Are you going to fill the drum with a funnel on the base while rotating or just fill it on the counter and stick it on the base? I also read that a pre-soak is a must if that helps.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I took one apart and found a little tab that rotates and hits a switch -- that then reverses to motor, until the tab sweeps around the other direction and hits the switch again. I just bent the tab so it could not hit the switch and it no long changes direction.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I wish Jobo made a clear lid so you could see what's happening with the liquid.
    why not just a see-through expert drum?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin