Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,772   Posts: 1,516,537   Online: 839

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Unfortunately, I'm on a student's budget (cheap!) so I won't have the luxury of buying a Nova, nor do I have the luxury of space to use a set of trays. So...

I don't intend to stop them sticking. I'm actually intending for them to stick. As I'm using RC, the chemistry does not soak into the base, but just reacts with the emulsion surface. So as long as the base-side sticks to a panel, there is no problem. If one side is stuck, then naturally the other side should not be.

If I need to get a non-stick surface, Ken's point about the lighting panels for flourescent lights should do the trick.

I will build a prototype with vertical walls first, rather than slanted walls, to see if it works well for me. I might build one with slanted walls at a later stage should I need a bigger processor.

I did the calculations, a slot that is sized 300x250x15mm should hold 1 liter of chemistry comfortably, with a little room at the top.

Sorry to bring this thread back after over a year.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why not a tray ladder? it is cheaper and keeps the trays stacked so you save space. Ann knows where to get them. It would probably be a whole lot less expensive than all the plexiglass and the headache of working with it.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    35mm RF
    That's true about the cost Aggie, however, I'd have to spend a lot of time setting up the chemicals every time I want to print and spend more time pouring it away. In a slot processor, I believe the chemicals should not detoriate as fast due to exposure to air as the exposed surface area is minimal.

I don't intend to use plexiglass as it's hard to work with and it's expensive (as you say). Acrylic is cheaper, easier to work with and if it's good enough for Nova, it should be good enough for me.

I'm a little worried about sludge buildup, but I think I can deal with that at a later stage.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I made a set of them out of plexiglass. Actually I should say I had the plastics shop make them. Once I figured out the materials cost their labor was almost free. Mine are about 12.5x15.5 inside dimensions and about 1 inch across for each slot. They hold about 3 liters each. Over time the sides have started bowing on the outer tanks (I keep them all strapped together) even though they are made from 1/4 inch plexi. I used the Nova clips to hold the paper. Sometimes the paper sticks to the smooth side, but not badly. The biggest problem is the developers leave deposits on the sides which require frequent cleanings or you get stains on the print edges (I never had it stain the image area for some reason).

If you are short on space a set of three 8x10 tanks should cost under $100 to have built and be easy to use. I would still use a 1 inch wide slot so the clip and print have room, even though this will take you up to about 1.8 liters per tank.

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Justin,

when I bought my Jobo Prima the Dev and Fix troughs were filled with silver sludge. The Jobo has a textured structure to prevent uneven development by sticking paper on the walls, making a buildup of sludge easy.

I got rid of it by using slightly hot Blix, bleachfix, leaving it in it overnight... the fix tank is very clean now, the dev tray needs a third pass.
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Brian, how did the slot processor cramp your style? Was it print sizes that were the problem?

cheer, john

Images
    found it ok for proofs, but not ideal if you want to watch the print develop, ans the action required for constant agitation made my wrist sore after a while.
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Your comments are interesting. I've been wondering if a slot processor might be the way to go for printing higher numbers. That is, once you have the print looking how you wish, and (perhaps in a fleeting moment of optimism) it's time to bang out 10-12 copies.
    Any thoughts?
    Last edited by John McCallum; 10-05-2004 at 06:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Images
    I think any speed gained by using verticle slots would be lost by having to wash / dry the clips between every print.
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks muchly, good to know your thoughts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin