Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,973   Posts: 1,558,707   Online: 806

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Would this be a good darkroom countertop?

Im in the process of building my darkroom.
    I found this piece of countertop listed on Craigslist.
    Do you think it would make a good workspace for my dry side?
    I emailed the lister and can get it for $25. What do you think, would you do it? I have 2 enlargers to set up.
    http://providence.craigslist.org/hsh/552411874.html

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yes. I have used a laminate top and it has held up for 30 years. except for muriatic acid, for cyanotypes, that marred a circle on the wet side.
    Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is nothing wrong with using the laminate top but I think 24 inches is a little narrow for the bench top especially if you are placing an enlarger or two on it. Even if you removed the bases and bolted it to the bench top 24 inches will not be enough to work very well imo.
    http://www.apug.org/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=10716
    http://home.comcast.net/~rem700a/westviews.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm buying one also at the weekend. The smoother the surface the better, some have a stipple finish and can be hard to clean.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thanks fo the opinions. AZLF, that was my main concern about this particualar piece.
    I'll go home tonight and measure the baseboards for my enlargers.
    I dont want them hanging over the edge.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I agree that 24 inches is very narrow. I prefer 32 inches. And if the counter is going to be used in the dark it is useful to have it be white so you can see more with safe light illumination. You can of course find formica shops that will probably cut a piece whatever size you want, then it is just a matter of gluing it down.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    check out home depot or lowes. they often have short ends for sale at very good prices.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    And if the counter is going to be used in the dark it is useful to have it be white so you can see more with safe light illumination.
    ...also a good point.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ann View Post
    check out home depot or lowes. they often have short ends for sale at very good prices.
    Thanks Ann, I have seen the precut pieces at HD and Lowe's, just searching around for other(cheaper) options I guess, but that may be the way to go.
    Last edited by pesphoto; 03-05-2008 at 02:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ann View Post
    When I was building my current darkroom, I found a scrap of roll-formed laminate countertop at Grossman's outlet that was priced right for the project

The point that has been made about depth is important. Also, consider whether the counter top has a "berm" at the leading edge - that might be fine for most applications, but it won't work well if the depth is such that your enlarger will sit on that bump, causing it to be out of plumn.
    Louie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin