Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,272   Posts: 1,660,741   Online: 1128

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Who can tell me about this piece of equipment

Ok, on a whim I bought this enlarger on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=002

The fellow doesn't seem to speak english very well, or at least it is with enough of an accent that extended conversation on the phone was difficult. The two main thing I am wondering about is how does this head work "Ilford 500H"?

And since he didn't know at all how to test it or whatever, I have no idea if that will be DOA. If so, how tough are they to fix, what kind of lamps do they take and perhaps can someone point me at a manual?

I gotta believe I got a good deal on it, i am goign down to pick it up this weekend... Can't wait. happy Birthday to Me!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thank you.
    -CW

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    From the photos it looks like you will need to get a control unit for the Ilford 500 head. These are on Ebay fairly often - I believe Iford still has the owners manual on their website for the 500 enlarger head. Bulb size is usually listed on the inside of the head - it takes two bulbs. Most important will be the blue and green filters - if they are damaged, you may want to just scrap the head and get an Omega head. The power supply is very heavy - which may be why the end looks to be off in the photo - hopefully it is working. It is a solid enlarger chasis, so good luck getting it up and running.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    So if I have to scrap it, what do i look for in a head? Can I use a Beseler head or does it have to be an Omega? I will keep an eye open for the controller.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the head is working, keep it. It is a great head and works perfectly with all current VC (and graded) papers. It is bright and fast and parts are easily available if you need to repair it (Odyssey Sales in UK is my source). You can use it for split-grade printing very easily. If the controller is not there (500CPM), you can pick one up easily - there is one on eBay at the moment. Or you can splash for the fancy RH Designs controller made for this head, like the Analyser 500 or the StopClock 500. One way or another, if the head is good you will enjoy it, it is a fine piece of photo equipment.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    is there any way to test if this is functioning without the control panel?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Make sure the correct lift hardware for the Ilford head is included. It is different from other Omega lift hardware and is specific to the Ilford 500. If it's not there, you'll be faced with having to find it somewhere else. You'll also need the correct mixing boxes for your formats.

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe View Post
    is there any way to test if this is functioning without the control panel?
    No. At least, there's not an easy way.

I have the RH Designs Analyser 500 mentioned above and it is a very nice piece of equipment.
    Last edited by wfwhitaker; 03-06-2008 at 09:23 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Might find some info here

Look at this website too.

Steve

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spb854 View Post
    Look at this website too.

Steve
    KHB is terrific. If an enlarger part is available in the western hemisphere, they will have it...EC

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Ok, just picked it up!!

Omega d5-xl with an ilford 500 head. I have what looks like the probe, the foot switch, and the power supply and the light mixing boxes for it.

What I don't have is the control panel. I have plugged it in and sure enough the powersupply comes on, and the fan in the head seems to blow and so on. The lamps don't light, but I am not sure if they should without a control panel attached. Any suggestions before I find a control panel?

I disassembled the mixer boxes, all the mirrors were floppign around. I took them out, removed the masking tape they were assembled with, cleaned them and retaped them with new maskign tape. Are they normally assmebled with masking tape? The paper boxes at the top of the mixing boxes are yellowed with age I assume, and the areas where they are cutout seems to be curling a bit. Do I need to remanufacture these from some heavy cardstock, or should they be fine as is?

This is an impressive piece of equipment..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin