Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,944   Online: 789

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Equivalent to Zone VI Developing Timer

Does anyone one currently make an equivalent to the Zone VI Developing Timer?

Thanks

Todd

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I assume you mean the timer with the attached thermometer that adjusts the development time based on the temperature of the developer?

I don't think so. However, there was a recent thread indicating that RH Designs is has a new process timer in the works that might have similar functionality. I do not think they make a similar product currently.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Sadly, it seems to have been one-of-a-kind. Once in a great while one shows up on eBay, but they usually go for 300-400 dollars and even then they are rare. No one wants to give them up!

I used one for years and they're amazing -- try to get your hands on one!
    Michael McClellan
    Documentary Photographer
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    http://www.MichaelMcClellan.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mmcclellan View Post
    but they usually go for 300-400 dollars and even then they are rare. No one wants to give them up!

I used one for years and they're amazing -- try to get your hands on one!

I had seen the thread on process timers without really understanding their function as those posting clearly understood their functions. Seeing this thread and the above price makes it opportune to ask what do they do. For this kind of money I am presuming it has to be more than simply calculating time for temp. The Ilford chart would appear to do that for nothing.

Thanks

pentaxuser

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It's got 'real', 'film' and 'paper' modes. I don't know what they used for establishing the time-temperature curves but I'm guessing TRI-X in HC110 for film, and the original Zone VI Brilliant in either Dektol or their own Zone VI developer for paper.

I stick the temperature probe into the film developer tray while doing negatives, and if the developer heats up the 'seconds' will start to speed up, or if the developer cools down the 'seconds' will tick by slower. If your development time is let's say 6 minutes, you just develop until the timer hits 6 minutes whether it's the fast/warm 6 minutes or the sloooow/c-c-cold 6 minutes. The beauty is that your film agitation sequence and timing will be consistent for every batch of negatives. Sure a water bath will work, but this is neater.

For prints you put the probe into the developer and you'll get consistent prints even if you take a long lunch and the developer cools off significantly while you were away (as long as everything else remains the same...). It also beeps every 30 seconds and has a red digital display which is real handy when doing films in open trays in total darkness and you can't see your Ilford chart or your thermometer

Murray
    Last edited by MurrayMinchin; 03-09-2008 at 06:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use a Zone VI compensating timer, and although the original "paper" mode was Zone VI Brilliant and Dektol, I have tested it with Azo and Amidol. My "2 minute" 78 degree print (actual time about 90 seconds) looks identical to my "2 minute" 63 degree print (actual time around 3 minutes). Richard Ritter told me that he did much of the original testing to determine the algorithim (sp) but he has lost track of the raw data over the years. Zone VI tested the timer with a wide variety of materials prior to marketing the timer.

Can't imagine being in the darkroom without one of these gems.
    John Bowen

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Two thoughts. Ritter once said that careful photographers always use fresh chemicals and Ansel Adams proposed the factorial method wherein you waited til the first grey areas in the print emerged while developing then multiplied that time period x3 to give the base print developing time. These usually work for me. This 'factorial' method would compensate for changes in temps or running down of the developer.
    As for film development I use a Jobo and always use the same thermometer. Many a printer finer than most of us had their own systems and did wonderful work without this device. Its one of those things we all want but can do without in my opinion...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You're right. Then again, so am I

Murray

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Yes, the beauty of this timer is you always use "2 minutes" (or whatever) for paper and "8 minutes" (or whatever) for a particular film/developer combination, and no matter what the temperature is when you start and no matter how it changes during processing, the time will adjust to give you absolutely consistent results. Having used one of these in the Middle East where temperatures could escalate rapidly during processing, it was great to have as it gave all my developing of films and prints absolute consistency and dependability.

It's well worth the money if you can get your hands on it, even at inflated eBay prices.
    Michael McClellan
    Documentary Photographer
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    http://www.MichaelMcClellan.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I picked one up on ebay for a couple of hundred bucks a few years ago to combat cold temps in my basement darkroom in the winter. I don't use the temperature compensation for film development but, until I found a great temperature controlled water bath for my developer tray I used the paper mode often. Now its just a good, reliable process timer for film and developer, and I can use the probe if necessary.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin