Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,968   Posts: 1,558,472   Online: 1008

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Kostina 4 Blade Easels

Has anyone used Kostina Easels?

I may purchase online a used 16x12 4 blade Kostina easel but would like to hear from anyone who owns or has used one.

Thanks,
    Peter
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Jaq

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi

I recently received a used model. Now to be honest, I cannot claim to be an expert in easels and can not really compare this one to others. However, the Kostina is very easy to use and it is adequate for my needs.

The blades are solid and easy to move. They do jump their tracks from time to time but are easy to put back and this is not really a worry.
    There is a ruler that is easy to use and helpful.
    The build is reasonable. I wouldn't say that it is built like a Russian tank but neither is it flimsy.

All in all, if the price is right (whatever that means), I would recommend it on the basis that it is easy to use and that I have not had any problems with it. Please keep in mind that I am no expert on the subject of easels (thank goodness!) and can only rely on my limited experience.

Let us know what you think of it if you do buy it.

Regards,

Emile

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks Emile, does 300 Euro sound ok for a used model in excellent condition?
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    300 Euros? Isn't that about $600? That is very expensive. Kostiner easels were supposed to be good but that is way over-priced if I am correct on the conversion. You should be able to get a good Saunders 16 x 20 inch 4-blade easel or the equivalent Beseler or Kostiner for about $200 - 250.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It would be roughly $460
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    I got a used one off ebay. I believe it was the 20x24 model. It had a removable blade that proved to be its undoing. While I'm a big fan of most of the Kostiner products and while I wish you could still get their print tongs, I'd stick to saunders.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I use a Kostiner I have had since it was given to me by Ed Kostiner. The removable, almost unbendable blades are a plus for me. The one time that one of them got out of line, it took little effort to realign it.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Given that a new Dunco 12x16 4-blade can be had for 300GBP (392EUR) and a new LPL 4-blade for 235GBP from Silverprint (assuming they have stock) you have to wonder if 230GBP is a good price for a used easel (unless perhaps it was Beard or Kaiser) but I've no idea what they sold for when new... I have older LPL/Saunders 4- and Beard 2-blades so can't speak for Kostiner's easel quality.

Good luck, Bob.

Jaq

Shooter
    Medium Format
    300€ seems way too steep for this. I would say 100€ reasonable to good. 300€ no way.

Cheers

Emile

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have two Kostina Easels. An 11X14 given to me by a retiring analog photographer and a 16X20 I bought from someone here on APUG.

Both do the job well and the blades are prone springing off their frame ocassionally. I attribute that to the frequent ambushing's I get from the ghost of A. Adams that haunts my darkroom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin