Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,707   Online: 923

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    That is the Zone VI Washing Machine of which I wrote. Pretty handy but not essential in my view. I bought mine very cheaply or I would not have it. that one says it will handle up to 11x14 but I think 16x20 is ok Mine will do that.

lee\c

Images
    I did a bit of research on the Veralab print Washer today, it looks pretty good. I am leaning that was now. It is priced right, and I don;t want to get something prettier than my old D2v )
    hi!

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use the Zone VI 16X20 washer along with another that I built myself copying the Zone VI design.

I believe that Steve Anchell Photovision Magazine has tested the Versalab washer. You may want to contact Versalab for his test results or possibly he will be kind enough to reply to this post as well.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Those SaltHill products were great. Whatever happened to that company?

I have a big Zone VI that I cannot use in the house, so I bought a little Eco Washer 8x10 for 8x10 and 5x7 negatives, but it works GREAT. And it uses very little water, relatively.

dgh
    David G Hall

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Salt Hill went bankrupt several years ago. Don't know why but generally it is lack of sales and money coming in.

lee\c

Too bad about Salt Hill. But that Eco Washer is the next best thing...

dgh
    David G Hall

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At the time Salthill were going bust I spent a day with Joe Saltzer (not sure about the spelling) at his home in New York state looking at all the darkroom kit he made, it was amazing stuff. His darkroom was the best I've ever seen, full of wonderfully engineered very useful kit and I think that was ultimately the reason for Salthill's failure. Everything was just over engineered, the final straw being the enlarger that he had designed and was trying to market. It had fibre optic lighting and the head moved sideways as well as up and down the column and it had built in shock absorbers. Beautiful to look at, innivative but so expensive to build and consequently too expensive too buy.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm planning to get an archival washer - I see the need for one. Just to be able to use the bathtub myself once in a while...

With the limited availability in Norway, I'm considering a Prowash from Dunwright & Vogel - anyone have anything to say about them? The alternative is Nova?
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Like Les, I use Calumets' 20x24 washer. Recently I've read that one doesn't need to run these for as long as I was first led to believe. The information I've been seeing recently is that the fix will leech out of the prints merely by soaking. So now I run it for a few minutes, let is soak for a while and then run it again, obviously saving water.

Michael McBlane

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    Like Les, I use Calumets' 20x24 washer. Recently I've read that one doesn't need to run these for as long as I was first led to believe. The information I've been seeing recently is that the fix will leech out of the prints merely by soaking. So now I run it for a few minutes, let is soak for a while and then run it again, obviously saving water.

Michael McBlane
    I've also read a similar article recently about allowing fix to leech out in standing water. When I think about my beginnings in photography, a photographer who helped me used to leave his prints overnight in a bath full of water. He'd done it for years and swore by the method and I don't recall seeing any staining or deterioration in prints I saw that he had made years before.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin