Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,789   Online: 717

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by OleTj
    I'm planning to get an archival washer - I see the need for one. Just to be able to use the bathtub myself once in a while...

With the limited availability in Norway, I'm considering a Prowash from Dunwright & Vogel - anyone have anything to say about them? The alternative is Nova?
    I have the 11x14 Prowash that I got because it was a good deal used. It is well built and I am happy enough with it but I do not have any experience with others unless you count a tray and siphon set up. Placing new prints in it will definitly contaminate the previous ones so I have always started wash timing from last in. The circulation is a little suspect but as Blansky mentions that may not matter much.

Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    In general, very long washes is said to damage the paper. All paper, not just prints... That is one of my reasons for getting a washer.
    The reason for the Prowash in particular is that it can be divided into smaller "compartments", which makes it easier to fish small prints (like postcards) or sheet film out of the wash. Seems neat to me

Water usage is not an issue here in rainy western Norway. We pay a flat fee for the water supply, regardless of volume used.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Ole

I have it divided up for negatives or small prints and still have 8 slots for 11x14. It works great that way as a dual purpose washer.

If you have unlimited water (and are not worried about the "Greens" getting you) then ignore my comment about circulation. With good pressure and flow the circulation is good. It was apparantly designed that way and certainly is not good at saving water. We currently have a drought here in Colorado so I run it full for a short while then back to a trickle then full again and so forth. It is not hands off easy that way but it makes me feel better about the water and isn't too time consuming.

Bob

Fishing small prints out of a large washer.

As I said before I use a Calumet 20x24. I'm not sure what other brands come with but mine has a 36 inch plexiglas rod with a rubber tip on the end (actually a piece of rubber hose about two inches long over the end of the rod). With this rod it is pretty easy to fish out any size print from the washer.

Also the Calumet design may be different from some in that each channel is independant of the others so it uses more water but does not contaminate other prints as more are added. Since it does use more water that is another reason I alternate running water and soaking water.

Michael McBlane

Images
    My Versalab came today, going to set it up this evening. She ain't pretty, but looks fuly functional

Brian

ps, thanks for the tip!
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Aggie,
    I just finished printing a batch of postcards on AZO. I let the whole thing sit in a plastic dishwashing tub overnight, dumped the water in the morning and hooked up a tray syphen to the tub and washed it in running water for about 20 min. Worked very nicely, no damage to the paper, even after toning and rewashing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Images
    OK, got the Versalab print washer (11x14) put together this evening. Took a little while longer than I expected, as the directions were not written for visual people like myself. Overall, I am impressed with the washer, it looks like it will do a decent job washing prints. I placed it on the floor of the darkroom are of the garage so I would be able to drain it either into the sink drain, or out the door into a flowerbed. A few nits about the design. The plastic rods that go across the bottom to keep the prints from falling through need a better attachment. Basically you put a washer on the rod and the nbend the rod so it doesn't fall out. It would have been easy enough to supplu some saort of rubber cap that fitted onto the rods, or a silicon sealant / expoxy glue of some sort. Also the rubber stoppers (3 came with the kit) that you use to plus the hole in the drain line in order to drain the unit are tiny. They should have some sort of string attaching them to the unit so you don;t lose them. Also, they don't float, so if you drop one with a full load of prints, you are SOL for draining the unit unless you have a spare, or don't mind plugging it man ually with your finger. Overall, I am happy I got this unit, and saved a ton over the Calumet / zone vi version. It honestly looks like a $50, not $200 piece of equipment, but seeing as there aren't many other washers with this capacity at this price point, I can understand how they get away with charging this much for it. I am glad I got the 11x14, because now I know I can easily build one myself with a trip to the hardware store.

Brian
    hi!

Images
    Ohyeah, forgot to mention, it is almost totally silent, which is really cool, my tray with the spray bar and drain holes was very noisy.
    hi!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin