Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,593   Posts: 1,546,098   Online: 915

View Poll Results: What type of darkroom do you have?

Voters
298. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dedicated room in the house

161 54.03%
  • Temporary room such as a bathroom

67 22.48%
  • dedicated building on my property

23 7.72%
  • Use a school or university

21 7.05%
  • Use a friends

0 0%
  • Dark What!?!@?! I don't use one.

5 1.68%
  • Other

21 7.05%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a very small two section bathroom that I'm using. One half has the toilet and bathtub and the other has a linen closet and sink. The two parts are separated by a door and then there's another door which closes off the first part from the rest of the house. I had to put some weather stripping in that door to keep out the light, which works really well since there is no window. I put a piece of 1/2 inch birch plywood over the bathtub and set my 23C on it alongside my developing chemicals. This causes me to have to be very careful since i have no division of wet and dry areas. I keep all my paper, filters, cutters, negs, etc in the other half of the bathroom. I hang all washed prints in the linen closet to dry, and washed negatives hang from the shower rod. It all works out pretty well, except that it is very constrained...not to mention the fact that i have to move everything in and out of the bathroom each time I want to print something. Its really gonna suck when I finish putting my Omega D5XL together and then have to drag that in and out of the b-room.....

Images
    For those who have temporary sports that they set up each session. How do you deal with enlarger alignment?
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For those who have temporary sports that they set up each session. How do you deal with enlarger alignment?
    Strangely enough, I don't. I check my alignment probably once a month and everyting has always been in order. I have a Besseler 23C with a condenser head (soon to be cold light head as soon as it gets delivered). It's pretty rugged and nothing ever changes without a lot of effort having to be put forth. I've really only had to align it twice. Once when i first got it, and last week when I replaced the plastic cogs that raise and lower the head.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Your suppose to check alignment?? I will post pics of my darkroom asap.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Small bathroom in a small Manhattan apartment, but at least it's bigger than my last apartment.

The enlarger rolls on a typewriter table (remember them?) and slides in over the toilet. Trays go in the bathtub. Daylight tanks I can do on the sink. Chemicals are kept in plastic crates in a different room, out of the way, under a bench. I keep some paper out that I'm using, and the rest is in the fridge.

I've had a permanent darkroom in the past and would prefer it, but it's not happening any time soon.

I can print easily up to 11x14" from 35mm to 4x5" (or contact printing 8x10" or 11x14") with this arrangement, and that suits the kind of printing I've been doing anyway lately. I could go to 16x20" in a pinch, and could rent darkroom space to print larger or to enlarge from 8x10".
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Having had a custom built wooden shed as a darkroom for the past 15 or so years I can recommend it.
    Les,

Do you have a mains supply of water attached to your shed, if so how was it done. I remember when your darkroom was moved (by crane) so did it cause any problems?

I do all film in the kitchen, and I do all printing (color neg too) in a rental darkroom about 15 minutes away.

dgh
    David G Hall

Shooter
    Large Format
    I converted a room in my home for darkroom use. The problem that I have now is inadequate room to set up the vacuum frame (26X32) for contact printing. I will probably need to convert the matting area to a dual usage area.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Budd
    Having had a custom built wooden shed as a darkroom for the past 15 or so years I can recommend it.
    Les,

Do you have a mains supply of water attached to your shed, if so how was it done. I remember when your darkroom was moved (by crane) so did it cause any problems?
    Yes I do connect to the mains water when I move the darkroom (this is the 3rd move). I normally take a spur from the nearest point in the house and run the pipe underground to the darkroom. However, the house I now live in had an outside tap near to where the darkroom went so I picked up the supply there. In the 15 or so years that I've done this the water supply has frozen only twice and both were during brass monkey weather. I do make sure that the pipes are well insulated. Hopefully, Both me and my wife don't ever wish to move house again and I have said my next move will be in a pine box, or cardboard, when I pop my clogs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dnmilikan
    I converted a room in my home for darkroom use. The problem that I have now is inadequate room to set up the vacuum frame (26X32) for contact printing. I will probably need to convert the matting area to a dual usage area.
    Sounds like you could use a hinged tabletop that will swing up and hook out of the way with the vacuum frame permanently installed under it. Kinda like what they do in campers sometimes.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin