Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,166   Online: 733

View Poll Results: What type of darkroom do you have?

Voters
300. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dedicated room in the house

162 54.00%
  • Temporary room such as a bathroom

67 22.33%
  • dedicated building on my property

23 7.67%
  • Use a school or university

22 7.33%
  • Use a friends

0 0%
  • Dark What!?!@?! I don't use one.

5 1.67%
  • Other

21 7.00%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I just re-built my darkroom, it does however double as an equipment storage room. But it is a 12x13 room for dry work and a converted bathroom as the wetroom. Finally after all these years theirs a drawer, box,shelf for everything. I'm totally lost! Pictures soon

I built my darkroom in half of my laundry room. The room also houses the natural gas furnace and hot water heater.

After moving in I tore out the built-in shelving unit and replaced it with a plywood sink (24"x66") which overhangs half of a double laundry tub. That way, I didn't have to hack into the drain pipe under the laundry tub, it just drains into the tub.

My home-made plumbing board is connected the main water supply by 2 washing machine hoses so that it can be shut down separately. I have a regular laundry type faucet plus a home-made hot/cold mixing section that feeds into a water filter, then through a Delta Water Temp (not very high-tech, but at least indicates what temperature my 2 spigot following it are at).

Aside from a small counter holding my LPL enlarger, I was pretty shy on dry-side space. I just built a shelf on hinges behind the door that now holds my paper cutter and paper safe.

Printing is a dream now. Oh yeah, last fall I put in a ventilation fan with a small passive intake beside the door. Punching through 6" of concrete to vent the air outside was not fun. But totally worth it.

One of these days I will take a few pics of the setup.

Roger
    Roger Bird
    Burlington, Ontario
    Canada
    http://home.cogeco.ca/~rogerpbird

If I'd do it again, I'd just buy better raw materials, frame it out and finish it up. Light tight and more stable than my setup.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been thinking of going the garden shed route myself. I'm getting tired of grovelling on the floor to develop and fix my prints... makes my back ache. Since I usually print at night after work, dark is no problem. But, how do you keep the dust and grunge out?
    First of all, wipe your feet before going in. Second use positive pressure ventilation through a good filter.

Images
    I finally got around to taking the pics and getting my neighbor to do a scan. I posted wetside/dryside pics in the 'Non-Gallery Pictures' gallery. Take the tour. Sorry I didn't tidy up first.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

I took a photo of my darkroom to post but the negative came out blank???

At least I know it is lightproof :twisted:

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by baronfoxx

Hmmm...perhaps turning the light on would have helped? :mrgreen:

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    Quote Originally Posted by baronfoxx

Hmmm...perhaps turning the light on would have helped? :mrgreen:
    I did the same thing ... holding to the idea that the photograph should express the primary "raison d'etre" of the darkroom --- I exposed the film -- well - opened the shutter - while I was loading film into a JOBO 2500 series tank ... and, true to form, the film in the camera was blank (except for base fog...).

I agree - the "light" could have been turned on - I suppose you mean the "white lights" ... but then - it would not have been a "darkroom" - it would have been a "light room"....
    :roll:
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Images
    sick in the head, the whole lot of ya!
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin