Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,541   Posts: 1,572,772   Online: 874

View Poll Results: What type of darkroom do you have?

Voters
298. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dedicated room in the house

161 54.03%
  • Temporary room such as a bathroom

67 22.48%
  • dedicated building on my property

23 7.72%
  • Use a school or university

21 7.05%
  • Use a friends

0 0%
  • Dark What!?!@?! I don't use one.

5 1.68%
  • Other

21 7.05%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by baronfoxx
    I took a photo of my darkroom to post but the negative came out blank???

At least I know it is lightproof :twisted:
    I hate to mention this but it's obvious you misread your meter. Also what about recipricoty failure???-)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    I hate to mention this but it's obvious you misread your meter. Also what about recipricoty failure???-)
    Hmm... A possiblity - but - The print DOES look - nearly exactly- like the scene. To the naked eye, the interior of the darkroom is totally dark - black- and so is the print. Technically - probably the "most perfect" print I've ever done. :?
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just added a snap of my darkroom to share. Fun to look into other's workspaces to see how they work out space problems.

I built this one myself and it was designed to have very little clutter unlike every other darkroom I've had. In additon to the darkroom is a room outside it dedicated as a clean/dry room for mounting and packaging. Another room serves as a "digital darkroom" and yet another for filing and storing prints and negatives.

Darkroom is complete with stereo system wired into the walls, a network plug-in for my laptop so I can access my negative and print databases and an intercom and phone to keep in touch with the outside world. More extravagant than any I've had before, but considering I spend up to 10 hours a day in the thing...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm using the odd-shaped smallest bedroom which gives me about 7' x 7' of usable space. The dry side is a cheap but sturdy pine table holding the enlarger, timer and a paper safe. The wet side (such as it is!) is a long dressing table supporting my trays (currently four 8" x 10" 's, but there's space for larger/more). All other clobber goes on shelves.

Prints go from the fixer into a water bath and I then carry them through to a tray washer which is set up in my bathroom. Drying happens in the bathroom on a rack on the floor.

Biggest problem is temperature and ventilation; bizarrely for NW UK the temperature is hard to keep down to usable levels! Best thing I've found is to wait for a cool day, open the door between prints and use a fan on the landing to blow cool air in!

Having to wash the prints in a separate room is a fiddle, but I can live with it.
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Re Frankb's ventilation problems
    I have an ongoing ventilation problem and have eased the problen by switching to odourless stop baths and Superfix high speed fixer both of which reduces the odours in the darkroom

both are available by mail order on www.novadarkroom.com :twisted:

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    hi

just finished building my darkroom wet side is about 1/4 the basement, dry side, shooting space and storage it is about twice the size ...

now, i just have to put the kids to sleep and make some prints

- john

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    My darkroom is coming along slowly but it is coming along. Been real hot and then there is money. Today we finally plumbed the sink drains. NO leaks. I am in the middle of changing out some of the plugs and making sure the electricity is good but I am gonna move in this coming week. We are jazzed to say the least. I am gonna mop the floor several times and then pour a lot of wax on the floor and then we get some of those neat rubber matts. I would like them to cover the whole floor but that probably won't happen.

anyway that is the continuing saga of the Everman darkroom.

lee\c

Shooter
    Large Format
    Lee, It is good to hear that you will be moving in this week. I can certainly understand that you would be excited. Not many would have gone through the struggle that you have in putting your darkroom together. I think that you should be commended for "staying the course". Good luck to you.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lee,

I'm excited for you and I hope you make many fine prints in the new abode.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    thanks guys

lee\c

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin