Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,698   Posts: 1,549,110   Online: 1116

View Poll Results: What type of darkroom do you have?

Voters
298. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dedicated room in the house

161 54.03%
  • Temporary room such as a bathroom

67 22.48%
  • dedicated building on my property

23 7.72%
  • Use a school or university

21 7.05%
  • Use a friends

0 0%
  • Dark What!?!@?! I don't use one.

5 1.68%
  • Other

21 7.05%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I went with a pocket door, but I had the advantage of having to build a partition wall to separate the darkroom from the adjacent storage area. If you do not mind a step, a simple slot threshold does a good job of light-trapping. The construction and inital organisation pictures are at http://www.btinternet.com/~g.a.patte.../darkroom.html .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just finished overhauling the darkroom. I got rid of the office desk my enlarger was on and built a counter 36' high with a gap with inset rails so my Beseler sits flush with the countertop. Under the enlarger is open to allow doing bigger prints by removing the baseboard and projecting through. I also raised the matting and mounting table to about 36" to make all the work surfaces equal. Then I put a few new shelves in for storing larger boxes of paper. I also mounted a small desk lamp modified with a dimmer and a 7 watt bulb controlled by a timer to do highlight bump exposures as needed.
    I think the darkroom will be 100% more functional with these modifications. Heres a few shots to illustrate.
    The tennis ball is to protect the scalp from the shelf.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new-layout.jpg   safety-ball.jpg   bump-light.jpg  
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pegboard on the walls - oh man, Gary you are a genius!! You have just helped me solve my storage issues.
    My darkroom is in a corner of the basement where the water main is and I had to build around it. It has about 8' 6" square usable space. The enlarger (an ancient Beseler 57MB with custom built in cold light) is attached to a table I built with a sliding base that I can lower.
    I have a plastic utility sink that has a pump under it to pump the water up and out over to the main waste line. The trays are on another table I built with two shelves under it. And there is about a 3x5' are for me to walk around in. I have to be a little careful about any splashing that may occur from the sink.
    So I think putting pegboard up is really gonna help.
    gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The pegboard wasn't my idea, I saw it here recently in another darkroom posting but I couldn't find the thread to hook this to.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've just starting sorting mine out. A brick built out-house on the font of my house - i have painted the floor and ceiling (yesterday) and picked up a massive d.r. sink from a lab that has gone to the darkside (digi) for only £16 - what a bargain!! just need the plumber round now - oh and the old kitchen units - when ive got them out of the kitchen - and some extra power points. then I'm well away! cant wait. My enlargers and rhdesigns analyser pro have been boxed up for too long

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by glbeas
    The pegboard wasn't my idea, I saw it here recently in another darkroom posting but I couldn't find the thread to hook this to.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/7332-darkroom-move-almost-complete.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks JMoore! Your inspiration has made a vast improvement in my darkroom. The biggest difference I made is using the brown perfboard behind the enlarger to kill stray light leaks from the enlarger. I stll need to figure out what else can be hung on the perfboard.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, good idea that peg board. Now if I can just talk my wife into letting me put one over the bathroom mirror .....:rolleyes: .

Do prints up to 12x15 on the bathroom benchtop. For larger prints the D3 has to go on the floor so the head doesn't hit the ceiling. Then can fit two 20"x24" trays on the bench and a third on the floor. Only have to move the enlarger about 18" to open the door. But it's great, two door entry and no windows. The only the problem is when the phone goes (takes 5mins to get out).
    Solved that on Sat by taking the cell phone in. Left it by the enlarger (duh!), someone phoned me and fogged a print :o .

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin