Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,912   Posts: 1,521,629   Online: 962

View Poll Results: What type of darkroom do you have?

Voters
297. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dedicated room in the house

161 54.21%
  • Temporary room such as a bathroom

67 22.56%
  • dedicated building on my property

23 7.74%
  • Use a school or university

20 6.73%
  • Use a friends

0 0%
  • Dark What!?!@?! I don't use one.

5 1.68%
  • Other

21 7.07%
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Images
    Lets start a thread to discuss darkrooms. Feel free to post a photo of yours in the new gallery.
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Great thread, I would love to see some photos of people's darkrooms. Mine is currently 'under construction' , but I'll post a pic as soon as it's almost finished.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've posted a pic of mine in the "Non Gallery" gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks like I'm the only one so far still struggling with a bathroom. I guess I'll refrain from posting a picture of my shower and toilet....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't use the bathroom, but I do convert my bedroom into a darkroom. An air purifier/odor defuser right next to my chemicals cuts down on the smell and if I printed too close to bedtime I just sleep on the couch.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

I have a space. Best way to describe it. Basically one corner of the basement. The thing is I need to block all the windows so the whole thing is dark.One of these days I'll put up walls in one corner but I know it'll end up feeling tight after using the whole basement. A real space will work better but it will take getting used to.

Images
    No Silverpixels5, you're not alone. I use the bathroom and I've learned to convert-it in darkroom in 15 minutes!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Same here. I use the bathroom, after the sun goes down. It's a hassle, but it works.

Images
    I have a corner of our garage set aside. I have the windows blocked, and wait for the sun to go down in order to avoid any fogging from light leaks. It is kind of a drag because our washer and dryer are out there too, so it is a constant battle against dust. I am planning on buying a cedar outbuilding when we get our own place (we rent now) and dedicating it to darkroom and photo storage. a 10X8 building costs about $1500 around here.
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bmac
    . I am planning on buying a cedar outbuilding when we get our own place (we rent now) and dedicating it to darkroom and photo storage. a 10X8 building costs about $1500 around here.
    Brian, consider having a custom built wooden building instead of "off the shelf". Having had a custom built wooden shed as a darkroom for the past 15 or so years I can recommend it. I don't know how good the cedar building are that you mention but they need to be of very solid construction especially the floor otherwise you could have a situation that when you move your enlarger moves. I had the framework of mine built with 3" x 2" joists at 15" centres and nothing moves, even when I'm rocking to Zeplin. In Northern England where the climate can be a bit on the cold side it was necesarry to insulate the whole of the darkroom but I don't think you will have the same problem in CA.

A custom built shed may cost more but it will pay off long term.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin