Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,133   Online: 1057

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format

Water temperature regulator

Does anyone know of a good but inexpensive water temperature regulator? I was wondering if there is such a thing without spending $600 USD on a regulator and having to hook it up to the pipes in my house.

I seem to recall seeing a device where you would dip a metal prong(?) into a pitcher of water to control the temperature. Is there such a thing? I have no problems letting a device warm/cool liquids to the proper temperature for several minutes while I do other things.

Thanks,
    Ray

Edit: I'm just doing B&W... no color.
    Last edited by Nikkorray; 03-13-2008 at 02:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Watch ebay. I got a Wing-Lynch Model 4 processor that came with the Wing-Lynch water regulator for $200. The regulator alone is worth several thousand. I've picked up several other non-electronic regulators for under $50.
    The soul never thinks without an image.
    - Aristotle

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by magic823 View Post
    I've picked up several other non-electronic regulators for under $50.
    Would you happen to know the name brand & model so I can do a search on them? Thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Here is a pic of my crappy little set-up. Most of the pipe work came from Home Depot. The temp gauge came from someone here on APUG if I remember right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails watercontrol.jpg  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    A low flow version of the Hass Intellifaucet would be gret but those are about $500.

You did not say what you want to regulate. If you want to have tempered, flowing water to a print washer or just for general use, then you need a proper mixing valve. Some mixing valves, such as thermostatic shower valves, are designed for high flow rates which are not practical in a darkroom.

If you want to regulate the temperature of chemistry containers for processing, trays of open solutions, water baths for film development then some options are:

• Jobo TBE tempering box
    • Aquarium heater in plastic tube
    • Dev-Tec electric heating element
    • Pig blanket

I believe that Kaiser or Patterson makes a low temperature "hot plate" on which you can put trays of chemicals but those are not readily availbale in the US and are relatively expensive.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    You did not say what you want to regulate. .
    Sorry about that. I just wanted one to help me develop film only. Nothing else. Sometimes I have a batch of 4x5 TMX 100 film I need to develop in a large tank using D-76 already mixed. Trying to get the temperature right during winter/summer months via tap water is a pain.

Thanks for the list you provided. I will research those items.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    [QUOTE=jeroldharter;601281]...Some mixing valves, such as thermostatic shower valves, are designed for high flow rates which are not practical in a darkroom.
    If you want to regulate the temperature of chemistry containers for processing, trays of open solutions, water baths for film development then some options are:
    • Jobo TBE tempering box
    • Aquarium heater in plastic tube
    • Dev-Tec electric heating element
    • Pig blanket

QUOTE]
    I have actually found a standard shower valve works very well, easily controls to +/-1 degree C. A filter is a good idea as well for film washing, tap water often has particles in that will dry on the film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikkorray View Post
    Would you happen to know the name brand & model so I can do a search on them? Thanks.
    Arkay and Delta, check bhphotovideo.com for a list under Darkroom Supplies « Sinks & Accessories « Water Controls « Temperature Controls & Monitors

Be prepared for sticker shock, thus my suggesting ebay.
    The soul never thinks without an image.
    - Aristotle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikkorray View Post
    Does anyone know of a good but inexpensive water temperature regulator? I was wondering if there is such a thing without spending $600 USD on a regulator and having to hook it up to the pipes in my house.

I seem to recall seeing a device where you would dip a metal prong(?) into a pitcher of water to control the temperature. Is there such a thing? I have no problems letting a device warm/cool liquids to the proper temperature for several minutes while I do other things.

Thanks,
    Ray

Edit: I'm just doing B&W... no color.
    Just use an aquarium heater in a water bath. Your water bath container can be one of those big plastic storage bins you find at Home Depot or Taget. For B&W it's easier to find an aquarium heater that you can adjust to 70 degrees F with good accuracy. It's get harder for color when you need 100 degrees but I found a Wong model that works well.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Well, after searching the web really quick it looks like an aquarium heater is the best alternative. I would have never thought of that... you guys are the best!

Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin