Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,828   Posts: 1,582,124   Online: 1090

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Developing tank - where to find ?

I would like to add a little more flexibility and speed when developing 5x7 sheets.

Today i develop one sheet at a time in patterson tank - emulsion side inwards.

I have searched ebay for a tank or system that can take 4-6 sheets of 5x7 (or 4x5 and 9x12)....

I know we have som Jobo drums but not the machine/motor - but could I somehow use these the way Patterson system works ?

Please post your solutions for developing 5x7 efficiently - I will gladly pay for at new system.

CS

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you have a darkroom, tanks and hangers are one option--best with replenishable chemistry. Trays are another option, better with one-shot developers. I use both.

Some people like BTZS tubes, but I haven't used them myself.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Check with local schools. They may not have much in the way of LF processing but if the old teacher is around he could probably give you some leads that just might pan out.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use the Jobo print drums, the 28xx series. They have ridges inside that constrain the sheets of film/prints, and if you can get the inserts that clip on to those internal ridges, they ensure that the film sheets/prints dont move, no matter how vigorous the agitation. The 2840 drums will handle four sheets of 5x7 film comfortably.

Jobo also do a manual roller setup, which makes it convenient to process in the drums if you do not need to temper the chemistry (in fact, if you can get hold of 2840 drums you do not need a roller base, as they have two connection collars, that keep the drum level when rolled on its own).

As for 4x5, the 2521 tank, with a 2509n reel will allow you to process up to six sheets of 4x5, or 9x12 film.
    Last edited by snallan; 03-15-2008 at 08:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Steve

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision" - Maxi Jazz

Website

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    For 5x7 and 4x5, I use a Jobo 3006 Drum on a simple motorized roller base. It is the cat's ass! I'd love to have deep tanks and film hangers but, I've yet to find a setup at a reasonable price...until I do, I'll be very happy with the Jobo drum.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For 4x5 you can use multiple 2509N reels in the bigger tanks. Each reel holding 6 sheets. If you need that sort of volume it'll do lots. The eight reel tank 2581 will take three 2509N reels and process 18 sheets with at least 1 litre of chemicals. You just need a way to spin that big and when full heavy tank. Doing paper I've spun a tank in a water tray.

The 2800 print drums can handle multiple 5x7s.

Then you've got the expert drums. The most expensive choice. It does less sheets then the 2500 tanks but some get better results with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PS the big advantage of the 2500 tanks is if you also do smaller formats. The tanks handle 120/220,35mm etc much nicer then Pattersons IMHO.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear CS,

If you don't want to build your own powered roller base (not hard by the way) and you are willing to do the rolling by hand, the Jobo drums can be rolled using a base made from a piece of wood and some furniture wheels. There was also a recent thread on using a Unicolor (I think) motor base with some modification.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The other nice thing about the 2500 series tank is that, with the orange plastic lid securely in place, it floats! The significance of that is that you can spin it in a tub of water.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bought a Jobo Expert 3006 with foot pump

Nice.

Thanks for all your replies
    CS

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin