Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,941   Posts: 1,557,562   Online: 1125

Shooter
    35mm

Enlarging lens questions

I just returned from a 10 hour trek and wagged home an Omega D5-XL Dichroic enlarger. You bet I'm excited!

The enlarger came with two lenses: a 150mm/5.6 Componon-S and a 50mm/3.5 Komuranon-S.

No question that the Componon-S is a keeper. The only question I have is if there is an optinum f-stop for the lens?

The Komuranon-S is an unknown quantity to me. I suppose it falls into one of 2 categories: OK for practice but replace as soon as possible OR a sleeper of a lens that works as well as my talents will ever need.

Your thoughts?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I always try to be two stops from wide open for optimum performance of the lens.. I always use glass carriers and highly recommend you get the carrier as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I just returned from a 10 hour trek and wagged home an Omega D5-XL Dichroic enlarger. You bet I'm excited!

The enlarger came with two lenses: a 150mm/5.6 Componon-S and a 50mm/3.5 Komuranon-S.

No question that the Componon-S is a keeper. The only question I have is if there is an optinum f-stop for the lens?

The Komuranon-S is an unknown quantity to me. I suppose it falls into one of 2 categories: OK for practice but replace as soon as possible OR a sleeper of a lens that works as well as my talents will ever need.

Your thoughts?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For the 150, according to Ctein in Post Exposure, the optimum is f/8 for that lens. At the very least, the Komuranon is probably fine for modest enlargements, maybe 8x10 and smaller.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with Bob with the general guide of close down 2 stops. On some lens you will see a stop that is better than the others by checking your grain focuser at each stop. Once in a while a lens will have a stop taht just jumps out at you.

Mike

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I own two of the Komuranon 3.5 lenses in 50mm and they are excellent when stopped down 1.5 - 2 stops. Excellent sharpness, excellent contrast when stopped down, both on paper and aerial image. They are a heck of buy on the auction site. It is a six element design.

I really don't think you are going to gain much spending more $$$. My prints from Rodenstocks and Nikons at 11x14 are indistinguishable from the K lens.

BTW, I have more than a dozen top quality enlarging lenses and the Komuranons are right up there.

My .02 and good luck,

Fred
    Last edited by Fred Aspen; 03-16-2008 at 01:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would have to agree about the Komuranon-S lenses. I have two of them, the 50mm and the 75mm. They are six element designs and absolutely as good as my EL-Nikkor lenses. It is definitely a keeper lens - try it and see.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks everyone! In the back of my mind I felt that the Komuranon-S would be a keeper. Confirmation is always good. Now I can focus on finding an Omega 6x7 negative carrier, 105mm lens and the appropriate lens holder for the D5.

Shooter
    35mm
    Keep in mind that sample-to-sample variability in enlarger lenses, particularly with used equipment, is quite high. With any luck your Komuranon-S will be as good as others have said, but if you're dissatisfied, by all means try another lens. Used enlarger lenses are cheap on eBay these days, so it won't cost you a lot to pick up another one, particularly if you're willing to bide your time. If you then decide to continue using the Komuranon-S, you'll at least have a spare, in case you accidentally damage one.

Shooter
    35mm
    srs5694,

Good advice indeed! Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Thanks everyone! In the back of my mind I felt that the Komuranon-S would be a keeper. Confirmation is always good. Now I can focus on finding an Omega 6x7 negative carrier, 105mm lens and the appropriate lens holder for the D5.
    Definitely look for an appropriate negative carrier, that will make life much easier than trying to mask down a glassless 4x5 carrier for those medium format negatives. Bide your time for the lens though. The 150 Componon-S will serve your needs nicely if you are content with a smaller maximum print size. Stability is not much of a problem with these big Omega beasts, so there's not much disadvantage to raising the head up high on the column.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin