Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,417   Online: 808

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Omega D5500 Dichro Head

Just picked up a D5500 Dichro head with the Controller and dual footswitch.

With no manual, can someone give me a quick block of instructions to figure out if this thing works or not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Which controller do you have? The bigger 'Translator' controller goes into 'white' mode with the light on when you first turn it on. The smaller controller goes into 'print' mode with the light off when you first turn it on.

What does yours do when you turn it on?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Well it seems to flash all 8's then eventually shows something that looks like:

d 00 56 75 9.6

Now, the lamp is burned, so I am in the process of trying to find one. Not sure if it will go through its steps properly without a working lamp, but I can try, eh?

I have this one: http://i22.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/e0/df/e8c9_1.JPG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok, I see the link. You have the 'standard' controller. It will 'remember' the last settings. So, the last time it was used it was set to C00 M56 Y75 and 9.6 seconds.

So far it seems ok. I have had at least one unit that would not make the light go on (even with a new lamp). So we can't say for sure it is working correctly yet.

They upgraded that membrane keypad because of some failures. I have at least one controller with this older membrane pad and it still works OK.

So, once you get the new lamp, check out all the buttons on the keypad.

There is a way to zero your lightbox. I'll presume the unit will work OK with the new lamp so here is the description:

There are 3 little trimmer potentiometers on the right hand side of the little bulge thing on the front of the light mixing box. You can use a small screwdriver to adjust them.

For the adjustment, turn the enlarger on and press "White" and let the motors come to a stop (if they won't stop...well, lets just hope they eventually do stop).

Now press the "0" key and the display should show how far each color is off in calibration. You can then adjust the trimmer screws so that each color reads 00. The manual says that plus or minus 25 is still OK. After the adjustment, press 'focus' to get back to the regular display.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Ok, well the lamp shoudl get here just in time for me to leave on holiday

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Ok, I see the link. You have the 'standard' controller. It will 'remember' the last settings. So, the last time it was used it was set to C00 M56 Y75 and 9.6 seconds.
    Not quite. the "d" indicates that the first filter, cyan was not used, and that the neutral densty filter was being controlled at that location.

My D5500 will not operate without a good lamp - "EYA".
    Last edited by Ed Sukach; 03-19-2008 at 05:12 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Spelling correction
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Well if this thing is not functioning properly, can I interest you in a brand new "EYA"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach View Post
    Not quite. the "d" indicates that the first filter, cyan was not used, and that the neutral densty filter was being controlled at that location.
    Press "White" then "Time" to get rid of the little 'd.'

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Ok so it looks like with a new lamp in there, I can turn it on while holding down the time button and the head does stuff, lights and different colors. Every few times I can hit white and it will light up full bright. But I am pretty sure the control panel is kaput. Though it seems the head itself functions. Anyone, need an extra head and double footswitch, and a non-working control panel?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe View Post
    Ok so it looks like with a new lamp in there, I can turn it on while holding down the time button and the head does stuff, lights and different colors. Every few times I can hit white and it will light up full bright. But I am pretty sure the control panel is kaput. Though it seems the head itself functions. Anyone, need an extra head and double footswitch, and a non-working control panel?
    Don't evaluate that system too quickly. There are a wide variety of different reasons for failure, from wear on the "rollers" that drive the Dichroic filters (repairable with aquarium tubing) to a broken heat glass (IR filter), to a short "Time" setting.

I have *some* spare parts and a little experience with this puppy - just what happens (lights and different colors?) when to try to power it up?

Or ... what keyboard and mixing box do you have?
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin