Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,954   Posts: 1,586,010   Online: 675

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

35mm and medium format Jobo drum recommendations

I don't shoot much 35mm film these days but I do shoot some and I also shoot medium format occasionally. Which Jobo drums are best for these formats? It seems like there are so many Jobo drums available that it can be confusing. I will probably want to get drums that can handle single rolls and - oh.... maybe three or four rolls at a time but they don't have to be the same kind for both jobs. In other words, if the best bet would be to have single roll drums and different drums for multiple rolls, that would be fine. I just want to get the kinds of drums that will give me the best results. Thanks!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I shoot mostly 4x5, but also shoot some MF and 35mm, and my wife brings me rolls of E-6 to develop which I do in the Jobo.

For the roll film, I use the 1500 series tanks and reels - There are reels that fit in the same 2500 series tanks that I use for 4x5, which I use occasionally if I have one roll of film that I want to toss in with some sheets, but the 1500 series seems to be easier, and uses less chemistry.

I have a mixture of a couple of different size drums, and the extension thingies which allow me to develop between one and eight rolls of 35mm at once.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "best"?

Best in the sense of least chemical wasted?
    Best easiest to hand agiate?
    Best in the best value?

I like the 2551 tank best. It takes up to five rolls of 35mm. Or up to six rolls of 120. Or up to three rolls of 220. Or up to twelve sheets of 4x5. Relatively frugal on chemicals when rotated which helps for colour work. But can use a fair bit of chemicals when you're using diluted B&W chemicals.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks guys. I can see that I should have been more specific. By "best," I am referring to the quality of the developed film, NOT value, ease of agitation, or waste. Also, I should have specified that I will be using a Jobo processor. I will not be hand agitating. I should have also specified that I my question pertains to E6 processing only.

The vast majority of my shooting is on 4x5" and 8x10" film but I wanted to know which drums will produce the best results, qualitiy-wise, when used to process E6 roll film in 35mm and medium formats using a Jobo processor. I will be using expert drums for my large format film.

I will not be processing b&w with the Jobo. Yes! I know how people rave about it for that purpose but I have been processing in trays for decades and I have no problem with it at all. I can't even remember having a scratched negative and my development is very even. When I have very large amounts of b&w sheet film - for example, after a long trip - I process in a line sink and I have never had any of the problems other people have reported. Most importantly, I have my development times down pat and I simply don't want to go through calibration testing again. Bottom line is that I will only be processing E6 with a Jobo processor. I should have specified that in my original question.

Anyway, with that cleared up, are your suggestions still the same?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't think I've ever heard any complaints about quality between the various drums. Some people have trouble with B&W and the 2500 sheet drums. But I think they complain about the various models. Nobody seems able to pin down why some have problems and many of us don't.

If you have a lift I'd look for a 2553 and a 2523. Without the lift then the 2551 and 2521. Used they should be fairly cheap. New the 2523 or 2521 aren't worth the money being only a little less then the bigger tanks.

Use the 2553 for 120 and when you need to develop more then one roll of 35mm. Use the 2521 when you need to do only one roll of 35mm. OTOH You could just avoid the small tank and use the money saved for more chemicals.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin