Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,484   Online: 944

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Home made sink

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    What is a good sink width? Going to build a 7 1/2 footer but not sure what a good width would be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    CBG, Doddato, Pete, Mick, Ken, JrJacobs, Firephoto, MarkS and Steve thank you all for taking the time to reply and for the excellent and informed advice.
    As for the sink.. yes it's already made, so too late for Marine Ply (as it's called here) unfortunately.

I will look into the fibreglass coating, but from what I can tell it's very expensive here..

Mick the Grey Navy paint idea is a great one, I'm off to google it now, and also for coating underneath too.. I never thought about that! :o

Thanks again everyone,

Síle
    Síle

If you saw a man drowning and you could either save him or photograph the event...what kind of film would you use?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi sile

get fiberglass epoxy resin and put a few thick coats on it.
    the resin is mixed 1:1 with a harderner ( comes with ) and
    you can use fibreglass cloth for the corners and edges where the walls and
    sink meet.

i had a 20+ year old sink made just like that
    ( except with cheep plywood ) your sink will last for a very long time.

good luck!

john
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I read somewhere recently that a guy used plywood and had it sprayed at a truck bed liner shop...worked perfectly and is a great solution! I think every town has one of these places...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John, thank you.. I'm going to have a look at a local motor repair shop to see if they stock and how much the resin is, it does seem to be the best option for durability according to everyone here. Also thanks for the luck.. I think I'm going to need it!

PVia.. thanks, but unfortunately every town in Ireland doesn't have a place to spray truck bed liners.. so it's a case of working with what's accessible for now..

Síle
    Síle

If you saw a man drowning and you could either save him or photograph the event...what kind of film would you use?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    West Systems Eppoxy is available from yacht suppliers. When mixed, it is easily flowed on. They also make a filet material which makes beautiful rounded corners.
    I built a plywood sink using this product 19 years ago, and it is still going strong.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    West Systems Eppoxy is available from yacht suppliers. When mixed, it is easily flowed on. They also make a filet material which makes beautiful rounded corners.
    I built a plywood sink using this product 19 years ago, and it is still going strong.
    Thanks Jim, I managed to find a supplier of West Systems Eppoxy resin in Dublin so I'll give them a call.

Síle
    Síle

CBG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Síle View Post
    Thanks Jim, I managed to find a supplier of West Systems Eppoxy resin in Dublin so I'll give them a call.
    Síle
    West Systems seems to have a lot of happy users who recommend them. I see their name come up a lot. Epoxy will be a very fine finish and should keep the sink in tip top shape for decades.

C

CBG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pesphoto View Post
    What is a good sink width? Going to build a 7 1/2 footer but not sure what a good width would be.
    Depends upon what you are going to do with it. If you are doing small prints and just three trays and wash, you might go with a 24" width or so. If larger trays and more going on, think about a wider sink. Absolute minimum is width of trays plus a little. Widest would probably be how long your arms can reach.

I like an expansive sink. So for me, a 30 width is minimum. You might want something quite different.

C

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I just finished our 40ft sink with West Systems,, great stuff goes down really well no stink , three coats and your printing.

Quote Originally Posted by CBG View Post
    West Systems seems to have a lot of happy users who recommend them. I see their name come up a lot. Epoxy will be a very fine finish and should keep the sink in tip top shape for decades.

C

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin