Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,961   Posts: 1,523,132   Online: 964

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Home made sink

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm following this thread with interest Sile, I only have a small sink but its at the end of a long formica counter top and maybe I might make this into a sink if your plan works well. Please let me know.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    MDF is not ideal. But it should work with two coats of West system epoxy. Before you coat it, mix some epoxy with fine saw dust, or even better, with silica (available from west system). Make it thick like mayonnaise. Then use it to make a filet in all places where two MDF-sheets meet. Within 24 hours coat everything with clear epoxy. Then coat everything again within 24 hours. If you wait more than that, you will need to wash everything down with water and then sand it before applying another coat. Be sure to coat the inside of holes for drains etc at least two times as well. Also, coat the outside at least once. Round all edges a bit too, since epoxy won't coat sharp edges.

/matti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PVia View Post
    I read somewhere recently that a guy used plywood and had it sprayed at a truck bed liner shop...worked perfectly and is a great solution! I think every town has one of these places...

I've built a couple of large sinks from plywood and used marine varnish but lately seen a couple of the spray on liner sinks and by far this is the best solution. If I were building another sink there's no question I would do it this way.

My sink was from a mold made by a friend. he built a negative plywood mold and we took it to a boat company and had gellcoat release coating sprayed on it and then the fiberglass. It's basically a boat hull in the shape of a sink. Works great! I guess I've had it for thirty years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by matti View Post
    MDF is not ideal. But it should work with two coats of West system epoxy. Before you coat it, mix some epoxy with fine saw dust, or even better, with silica (available from west system). Make it thick like mayonnaise. Then use it to make a filet in all places where two MDF-sheets meet. Within 24 hours coat everything with clear epoxy. Then coat everything again within 24 hours. If you wait more than that, you will need to wash everything down with water and then sand it before applying another coat. Be sure to coat the inside of holes for drains etc at least two times as well. Also, coat the outside at least once. Round all edges a bit too, since epoxy won't coat sharp edges.

/matti
    Great advice Matti thank you, I've seen sports hall flooring manufactured out of MDF dust mixed with glue and the finish is hard as a rock, so it's an excellent idea to use the epoxy mixed with sawdust for the filler.

Quote Originally Posted by Fintan View Post
    I'm following this thread with interest Sile, I only have a small sink but its at the end of a long formica counter top and maybe I might make this into a sink if your plan works well. Please let me know.
    I'll let you know how it goes Fintan, I found a place in Dublin http://www.wallerwickham.ie that does West System Epoxy but unfortunately as most businesses are closed for the Bank Holiday weekend, I haven't been able to get an answer.. I'll try again Tuesday.

Thanks again for the advice everyone.

Síle
    Síle

If you saw a man drowning and you could either save him or photograph the event...what kind of film would you use?

CBG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    ... finished our 40ft sink ...
    Just how large do you print?????

C

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the info Sile. I think my father-in-law uses that company, he has restored a big boat.

I wonder if I would be too ambitious to try to make a sink for my wet bench which is 128" long and 30" wide. It's really L shaped with another bit 33" long again by 30". Maybe the L bit would be too much trouble. The bench top itself is a fairly solid formica kitchen counter.

This really has me thinking

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    I just finished our 40ft sink with West Systems,, great stuff goes down really well no stink , three coats and your printing.
    I wanna go live with Bob

Síle
    Síle

If you saw a man drowning and you could either save him or photograph the event...what kind of film would you use?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Im thinking of going about 8ft long and 36" wide. Even considering an L shape as well, but it might take up too much space and I dont think I need to go that big.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The latest on the West systems epoxy is that you need a coat of epoxy followed by a 2 pack paint system followed by an interim coat of paint.. all coming in somewhere in the region of €40 + VAT per coat but they don't recommend MDF as a base..
    So I'm back to where I started unfortunately.
    Has anyone ever tried Perspex to construct their sink? If so I'd be very grateful of any advice.

Síle
    Síle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Síle View Post
    I wanna go live with Bob

Síle
    No you don't!
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin