Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,849   Online: 941

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Durst 138s Enlarger

Up until recently I have used Nikkor enlarging lenses exclusively, 150, 105, 75, and 50. Now that I have the new, to me, enlarger I have a 180 Schneider Componon, 75, and 50 Schneider lenses mounted on the turret.

I'm going to put the 75 and 105 Nikon lenses on it but would like to know if anyone is using the 180 Schneider lens for 5x7. It's an older lens that is in perfect condition. I don't know if the 150 El Nikkor will cover 5x7, anyone try it?

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The older 150 EL Nikkor (with 53mm mount) will.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The one I have is from the early '80's and is the metal model with I believe the 53mm mount. I bought it new so it is in mint condition, I was going to give it a try but wasn't sure mounting it would be worth while, now I think I will give it a go.

I was / am having trouble finding all of the information on the various lens boards for Durst enlargers but I'm slowly finding out what works. I may have to make another lens disk for the Nikon. Going from a Beseler 45 to a Durst 57 is literally like fitting a square peg in a round hole.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Curt;
    I have just obtained a 138 S also. It only had a single lens - a Companon 105mm, and did not have the three-lens turret. It did not have a manual nor any carrier for 5x7; so I am now on the hunt for those pieces. It also came with a box full of condensers. Did you get a manual? I have figured out a couple of the knobs and levers but need help with the rest. If you know of a source for the manual I would appreciate it. There is a thread elsewhere; however the link for an online version of the manual doesn't work.
    I think that one needs a 210mm lens for 5x7.
    Brian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Brian, I can assure you that both my 180 APO Rodagon and my old 150 EL-Nikkor work just fine for 5x7.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Gatien View Post
    . If you know of a source for the manual I would appreciate it. There is a thread elsewhere; however the link for an online version of the manual doesn't work.
    I think that one needs a 210mm lens for 5x7.
    Brian
    Try this site : http://manuelsphoto.free.fr/ The 138s manual they have there is not in English, but it does download OK.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The old Rodagon 180mm (not APO) works well for 5x7". I have a 210mm too, but haven't found a mounting ring for it yet. Since the 180 covers, it just hasn't been urgent enough...

The 180mm Componon does not cover, according to my manual.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Both instruction and service manuals for the 138S are available from Stonemills.
    http://www.stonemills.net/inventory.html
    If you are going to overhaul the 138S I think the the $20 for the service manual is a good investment since it takes you through step by step how the counterbalance system works, how to service the baseboard and replacing the rollers in the baseboard carrying arm. It doesn't deal with anything in regards to the enlarger head, bellows or lamp housing.

Gord

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    The old Rodagon 180mm (not APO) works well for 5x7". I have a 210mm too, but haven't found a mounting ring for it yet.
    If I remember the Rodenstock and Schneider 210mm lenses need different lensboards. Both would need to be extended boards if they are to work in the revolving turret. My Rodenstock 210mm is mounted in a what I think is a Roding 58 lens board. Can't tell the exact model number since there are no marking on it. Durst use to sell both the Lapla boards for Schneider lenses and Roding boards for the Rodenstock lenses. Roding boards were described as Roding 3917, 5071, 5072, 58 and 72.

Gord

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin