Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,973   Posts: 1,558,707   Online: 818

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Jobo 3010 on CPP2 - what speed is most adequate for E6?

Hello friends,

I am setting up now E6 processing in my newly acquired Jobo CPP2 and 3010 ExpertDrum. I am very pleased with the results, I had absolutely no issues at all, but I am a bit of infected by the Jobo-paranoia - the drum seems to be quite heavy, so I am a bit afraid about the machine's motor The serial number on my Jobo is missing, so I can't say what upgrade is it - but I think it's one step past the recent make, the lift has black clips already, but the screw keeping the driving gear is slotted, not hex-shaped.

My CPP2 rotates the drum well on recommended "4" speed, even if the water level in jacket is higher than recommended 6 mm, no squeaks or slowing, but I can see that this drum is not a simple thing for the drive anyway. Maybe it's safer and better for my machine to run ExpertDrums slower, say, on "3"? What speed do you use?

I am surprised by the un-Germanic design of Jobo processors, the lift especially - it's quite flimsy, so I always support the tank by second hand when lifting. And the idea to operate lift with running motor scares me - I vividly imagine the broken plastic teeth of the cogs flying in every direction

Zhenya

hka
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Use for the 3000 type drums only the slowest "F"-speed. Otherwise you will damage the motor.
    harry

Release, the best you can do...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Harry,

that's exactly what I feel about churning this 3010 drum on "4" speed, recommended by JOBO in all possible places. While the motor is fresh, it's okay - but it won't last long. As I can understand, "F" is for "film", and "P" is for "papers", so why don't give it a try on "F"? The construction of the ExpertDrum should not be prone to the irregularities of development. I think that the good test would be to shoot some B&W and develop it along with a gray card negative, just to be sure before extending the "F" speed to E6.

Regards from Moscow,
    Zhenya

Quote Originally Posted by hka View Post
    Use for the 3000 type drums only the slowest "F"-speed. Otherwise you will damage the motor.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have an older CPP-2 processor which does not have the motor upgrade. I process E-6 & B&W in a 3010 drum. I use the #4 settiing for the motor speed. I have not had any problems with the motor and maybe I'm just lucky. If you process at a slower motor speed you might have issues with uneven development. Testing, with B&W should show if that would be the case. Let me know what your results are!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Most of the information I've read on this and other forums says that the slowest possible rotation with Expert drums is OK. That is also what I use and I've had no problems with uneven development etc.
    There is also a wealth of information on E6, processors, Expert drums etcetera in the "Jobo Quarterly Journals".

//Bj÷rn

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    JOBO recommends 50 rpm for the 3000 series drums. The speeds on the newer CPP processors with the upgraded motor are different from on the older ones even though the numbers on the speed dial remained the same. I always wondered why they didn't just make a new dial when they changed the motor! Anyway, you can test for the rotation speed by just swinging the plastic motor reversal thingy out and away from the cog, then just count the number of turns per minute (or 15 or 30 seconds and multiply by 4 or 2). Make sure to test the speed with the trough filled to your normal level with water. I have used the 50 rpm speed for the 3010 drums, which I get by setting the number dial halfway between 'F' and '3'.
    Hal

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ganz genau, mein teurer Freund!

Reading all the previous replies, and taking into account JOBO's policy to change things without any warning, then issuing some kind of bulletin, I decided to run a speed test. Really, it looks like JOBO had three motor and circuit upgrades documented, and who knows how many undocumented! My motor uses a slotted screw to keep the black gear in place (looks from the first sight like #2 motor, "two-bearing". Grundfalsch!). But the 50 rpm speed with my 3010, with 340 ml of water inside and with a good level of water in jacket, is obtained exactly between 'F' and '3', like on your machine. 'F' is 40 rpm, '3' is 55, '4' is 70, '5' is 85. So the good news is that I have an apparently uprgaded motor, but the bad news is they didn't care to indicate it anyhow. How very un-Deutsch!!

The practice is a criterion of truth, as Lenin wrote. I think after this case that everyone owning JOBO should check their real speeds, that will save later on the motor replacement much $$$s. My machine can run 3010 on "4" without any real strain, but we don't need any victims After all, when 3010 rotates at 70 rpm instead of 50, it splashes water around ))))

Cheers, und Gruessen aus Moskau - Zhenya

Quote Originally Posted by hal9000 View Post
    JOBO recommends 50 rpm for the 3000 series drums. The speeds on the newer CPP processors with the upgraded motor are different from on the older ones even though the numbers on the speed dial remained the same. I always wondered why they didn't just make a new dial when they changed the motor! Anyway, you can test for the rotation speed by just swinging the plastic motor reversal thingy out and away from the cog, then just count the number of turns per minute (or 15 or 30 seconds and multiply by 4 or 2). Make sure to test the speed with the trough filled to your normal level with water. I have used the 50 rpm speed for the 3010 drums, which I get by setting the number dial halfway between 'F' and '3'.
    Hal

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin