Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,583   Posts: 1,545,776   Online: 1020

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well I did the big scrub with a brush and very hot water. The problem continues.

At this point, I do not have any way of making a scan of this.

As for a description, these are oblong marks where the film is not getting developer for some reason.
    These are light marks on the negs which of course make dark marks on the prints.

I could crop off the top section of the negs but I normally don't do this. I always try to print full frame.

I have a large Jobo 2521 tank and reel and I am going to try that today. This is my last shot, no pun intended.

After hand processing about 175 rolls a year for the last 8 years, I am left feeling a bit stupid and silly.

And to be clear, I am using a 1540 tank with 1501 reels that I invert. There are no machines or rollers involved here.

Thanks everyone for writing. I do appreciate it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is the film touching?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    No, the film is not touching.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi David,

Take a look at a length of the problem film, and compare the location of the oblong marks with the location of the "bumps" along the curves of the JoBo reel's spiral path. (This is easier if you separate the halves of the reel) I suspect they will match up, which means there is something on the reel still.

JoBo service is very clear that bleach will embrittle the plastic used in the reels, so they must not soak in bleach. But bleach will kill off fixer and other chems that may be the problem. So I dip my reel halves into a solution of half bleach and half hot water, then scrub out the grooves with a paste of baking soda and dish detergent using a soft nail brush. I do this once a year, and haven't had any damage to my reels that I can see. Try it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    these are random marks and sometimes they are on top of one another.

I guess I am going to have to find a scanner.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    here are a few digital snaps as best I could
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails filmprob.jpg   filmproblem2.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David;

These marks may vary but are regular. I can space them evenly with measurement on my screen. They also appear to be 3rd party film. This can be a film or process defect, but it is hard to tell.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It is Fuji Acros 100 purchased from Freestyle, processed in xtol 1+1 with distilled water and then Ilford rapid fix.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David,

Are you agitating in your pre-soak? These look like bubble problems I have had in the past. I know you told me by phone that your agitation is thorough during development. What I am wondering is if you give the same in pre-soak? If not, bubbles could get trapped on the edge meaning that you are getting uneven pre-soak. This might mean that your developer is working faster in the wet areas where the bubbles were absent and leaving "shadows" where the bubbles were.

I know it is a stretch, but variables are running out. Still I am hoping you'll get a stainless tank and reel and give it a shot. Seems to be the only variable you haven't tried.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    bill, i agitate for the one minute pre-soak, dump the water, fill with the developer, then agitate for the first minute, then 3 inversions every minute there after.

I've been doing this for years without any issues. I've gone through all of my negs for 2007 and 2006. No problems.

I am at a total loss for what is going on.

Again, thanks to everyone for chiming in on this.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin