Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,683   Posts: 1,548,543   Online: 989

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Do Jobo tanks and reels go bad?

After using the same tank and reels for years, I seem to be having problems with development.

I've changed everything around. Cameras. Film. Developer.

Same problem: uneven, or under development at the edge of the film. (the film has small oblong clear marks).

I've just done about 16 rolls of film all the same way with the same developer. Same agitation. All strictly uniform.

Everything is pointing to the tank and reels.

Is this possible?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David;

I have used mine quite heavily for over 20 years without a glitch. I have series 1000, 2000 and 3000 drums, all of which perform outstandingly.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can't imagine the tanks, or reels causing any problems. I have used mine for a good time (though not quite as long as PE ), and have had no problems.

If the effect you are seeing is on the very edge of the film, it might be worth giving your reels a good scrubbing with a mild detergent and a nail brush, followed by a thorough rinsing, just in case you have built up a residue of some kind on the reels.
    Steve

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision" - Maxi Jazz

Website

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've spent the last hour or so soaking the tanks and reels in 130 degree water and scrubbing them all.

I've got a couple of rolls to develop so hopefully this will fix my issues.

This is been a big, ugly and embarrassing mess.

Years of relatively trouble free developing and then wham!!! (not the pop group).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    David: did you try developing a roll of film in a manual tank with a different reel? If you do that and the marks disappear, then you've narrowed the problem down to your Jobo gear.
    Good luck,
    Dan

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you still have a problem after the big clean, if you can upload a scan it might well be helpful to those who may have seen something similar before.

Good luck, Bob.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    David,

the only trouble I ever had with plastic reels was caused by formaldehyde from color film stabilisator solution - and, perhaps, by wetting agent like Ilfotol. But the chemical damage to polyacetal was limited to sticking of film to dry reels, making loading very complicated. As I can understand, this is not your case. If the reels and tanks are physically the same, maybe something is wrong with the rotation, or level of developer in your drum? Let us see the scans, please - this would be very informative to track the source of problem.

Zhenya

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To answer your question, yes reels can get contaminated. I know this because I used to be guilty of using photo-flo inside my developing tanks. After reading threads here that this could cause developing issues in my tanks consistent with the problems I was having, not anymore! I now use a seperate bowl for this. I'm not sure if you use phot-flo or some other wetting agent in your tanks? It can cause developing anomalies at the edges of your film, and streaking etc. At any rate, a mild detergent did not do the trick for me. I used a really concentrated bleach solution in very hot water and used an old tooth brush to clean my reels, and rinsed thoroughly. My problems went away after this.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have been using Jobo 1000 & 2000 series tanks together with Paterson units for more 30 years without any problems
    However, I am very vigorous when it comes to washing afterwards.
    I re-assemble the tanks and put the cascade washer back on for at least another 10mins as soon as the film goes in the dryer.
    I finish the wash off with a couple of fills with hot water (just to help dry the things)
    I was told early on at College that cleanliness was next to godliness in the darkroom and have taken it to heart.
    The result is my reels and tanks look almost new.
    Last year I bought some Jobo tanks & reels off a friend who was going over to the "dark side"
    I was staggered at the state of his reels
    No matter how much cleaning or washing I did they remained dreadful.
    In the end I frizzbie'd the worst ones and bought some new.
    I am a big believer in prevention is better than cure but it might be time to invest in some new reels.
    They are not cheap but spoiling otherwise perfectly good shots isn't without its cost either
    Martin

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    David

We have found this to be problematic after hundreds of runs.
    We now clean all the reels and tanks twice a year.

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin