Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,517   Posts: 1,572,194   Online: 1104

Shooter
    35mm

Setting Up a Durst Printo for Dry-Dry RA-4

Hi All,

I'm going to be getting set up to do C-41/RA-4 and I'd like to get a Printo for the print processing and I'm curious how many and what modules I'd need for it to do complete dry to dry. Obviously I'll need the Intro Module and the Print Dryer Module but what do I need to put in between? I'll be using Kodak Ektacolor chemistry and Kodak paper.

Also as an aside, will I be able to do B&W with the same set of modules? Just in case I ever need to do a large run of something. I'm perfectly happy with trays for my B&W stuff.

Thanks for all your help and advice and take care,

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Printo comments

I don't drive a printo. Mick Fagan does - he will likely pop in.

I fly a fujimoto - roller transport but not modular.

You will need a module for dev, and a module for blix at a minimum for RA-4. The squegee rollers minimize carry over, and hence you could skip a rinse or stop.

I am not aware of anyone doing c-41 in one for sheet film, but it could be possible. The number of modules will go a way up though to do all the steps, and the different time neded in different steps, since all printo modules run at the same speed. So if you timed it for dev at 3:15, you would need two bleach modules to get the 6 minutes that step needs, plus one of each for stop and a fast fix, then washes. I would not trust film to a roller dryer. .

I'm not sure how the dryer works- if it does the washing, or there is a sepaprate one or two wash modules after a blix one.

For B&W - if you can vary the temperature or speed there is hope. If fixed speed, then fine tune the developer temp to get full development, but no fogging for the time the paper is in the dev tank.

For fixing, pick something like TF-3. I use PhotoEngineer's superfix - and when warm it fixes faster than anything.

Don't plan of FB in the thing - just RC. I have done FB in my fujimoto with RC carriers for pre-wet fibre paper, and then separately extra washed the stuff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For RA4 dry to dry you will need an Intro unit.

Tank + energy Therm

Tank + energy Therm

Tank + energy Mot

Dry

Water consumption for washing is 2 litres a minute, with water pressure at 2 – 4 bar

You will require the first bath to have RA4 developer.

The second bath will have your Bleach/Fixer.

The third bath will be your rinse.

The last unit is the dryer.

If you are buying a secondhand system with a dryer, you may find the dryer is extra long. Nothing wrong with that as the extra long dryer unit was for Cibachrome. Cibachrome required twice the time in the dryer compared to standard negative to positive colour paper.

If you wish, you can add another Energy Mot bath for a second rinse.

I personally run my Printo with the minimum configuration, letting the prints drop into a water filled tray, transfer them to another tray with a small amount of running water, then I use a 12” wide stand alone RC paper dryer.

If you can organise your Printo to be running through a wall, where the dryer is on the outside of the darkroom, you will find your darkroom is a lot cooler, especially in warm weather.

Mick.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks!! This is exactly what I was looking for. Now off to haunt eBay......

Take care,

Jim

PS - Any other places where I'm likely to come across used Printos?

Shooter
    Multi Format

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin