Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,847   Posts: 1,582,787   Online: 829

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram View Post
    So, if i boil it, it will be ok?
    Even not boiled, but used in a short amount of time, will it become a problem on the actual developed film?

Matti, can I too have what you're drinking?
    Ari;

IDK. Never tried to do it.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    These threads I've found have some horror stories regarding using this water:
    http://www.thekrib.com/Filters/dehumidifier.html
    http://answers.google.com/answers/ma...view&id=237065

I think I'll just drain it.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'v been using it for years with no problem. Just filter it though acoffee filter and put in gal jugs. It is distilled water.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I am an Air Conditioning Engineer and I would never, ever, ever touch the stuff.
    Condensing water from the atmosphere is not the same as collecting distilled water from a sealed system.
    As PE says - as you condense the water is washes the air from which it was obtained.
    In the house that means dust (fabric/carpet/skin/pet hair/pollen/fine soil particles/cooking fats ......) plus what ever atmospheric pollutants happen to be in your local atmosphere.
    If you have ever had the misfortune to have to clear out an air conditioning condensate drain you would realise what a disgusting amount of grunge gets washed out of the in the condensate.
    I imagine you could particle filter it/distil it several times/chemically neutralise it into a usable form but it would be a huge task.
    It would be easier to start with Tap water
    Buying Distilled or Deionised water is much much quicker, simpler and more guaranteed
    Martin
    Last edited by Martin Aislabie; 04-02-2008 at 02:55 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram View Post
    Yuck.
    So, I should just keep buying distilled water from the supermarket and connect the dehumidifier to the drain?
    Yes. The condensation coils probably have more crud on them than you can imagine and it all ends up in the water. You'd be better off using tap water.
    Last edited by bobwysiwyg; 04-02-2008 at 04:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    OK, I had enough scares!
    I have been already draining it!
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Medium Format
    When I had my darkroom in the cellar in MA, I used the dehumidfier for all my darkroom chemicals and final rinse. In the Summer I collected about 1/2 gallon per day. There is no problem IF the dehumidfier is either new or has had the coils and collection basket throughly cleaned.

My dehumidfier lived in the darkroom since new and each year I would check it and it had clean coils. The basket got washed once a month to reduce the possibility of mold. Since there is little to no particulate matter in the darkroom and the water is usually used fast enough, there is no concern for mold or particulate matter in the water. It is PH neutral and works in batteries also.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Given what appears to be a consensus that water from a dehumidifier is not similar to distilled, I have wondered if there was a reasonable means to distill my own. I did acquire a condensing tube (don't know the technical term for it) consisting of a glass outer jacket with inlet and outlet and a coiled inner tube. I could McGuyver something, but I also wonder if the cost of running the thing (running cold water and boiling the water) doesn't detract from the advantages (i.e. convenience and volume available).

My water is from a deep well, and is very hard, so I am reluctant to use it for a lot of my darkroom processes.

Is anyone distilling their own?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin