Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,847   Posts: 1,582,793   Online: 813

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Dehumidifier Water

There more than a couple thread regarding water used in the darkroom and there is a passing mention of the subject, but I would like a definite answer:
    - Can I use the water I get from a dehumidifier unit to replace distilled water for developing of film?
    - Is there a way to test if its suitable?
    The unit in question (Singer 2100LCD) contains a filter and an ionizer but I am not sure if they have any effect in the collected from humidity water.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    i would like to know as well so perhaps you could try it and report back. My water collection bucket isn't exactly sparkling clean looking though the water looks clean and clear when i dump it.
    Dennis

Shooter
    8x10 Format

distilled water

Technically speaking, the water you get from a dehumidifier is distilled, however it is not pure, since it has not been boiled like commercially bought distilled water is. Also it is subject to whatever contaminants are present in your collection tank and on the coils of the dehumidifier. In practice, I would think it would be ok to use as long as your dehumidifier is clean.
    Hope this helps.
    Tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It usually grows a lot of bacteria and mold and collects household air pollutants such as oils, spices and other things such as hair, dandruff and skin flakes.

So, to use it, filter it, boil it and then it might be usable. By that time you are just as well off using distilled.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    It usually grows a lot of bacteria and mold and collects household air pollutants such as oils, spices and other things such as hair, dandruff and skin flakes.

So, to use it, filter it, boil it and then it might be usable. By that time you are just as well off using distilled.

PE
    Yuck.
    So, I should just keep buying distilled water from the supermarket and connect the dehumidifier to the drain?
    www.arigram.gr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thats what I do. It goes into our basement drain directly.

Every once in a while, that grunge plugs up the hole with brown glop that I have to force out of the drain tube. Nasty stuff.

Oh, a vet once told me not to give it to pets either if they were ever prescribed distilled water for a kidney problem.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Suppose I filter it well through a couple of coffee filters, do I still have to boil it?
    www.arigram.gr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IDK. Bacteria and molds can grow in neutral and alkaline ammonium fixes. They can also grow in photo flo solutions. You are going to have to determine that by experimentation.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Aristotelis. I read the title and thought you were going to dehumidify water... And then I though about tomorrow. and then I thought about the time zone for Crete and got a bit confused. :-)

/matti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    IDK. Bacteria and molds can grow in neutral and alkaline ammonium fixes. They can also grow in photo flo solutions. You are going to have to determine that by experimentation.
    So, if i boil it, it will be ok?
    Even not boiled, but used in a short amount of time, will it become a problem on the actual developed film?

Matti, can I too have what you're drinking?
    www.arigram.gr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin