Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,716   Posts: 1,514,780   Online: 863

Thread: Enlarger's Bulb

Shooter
    35mm

Enlarger's Bulb

Hello

I bought an Omega D-2V XL enlarger without bulb.
    It's very hard to get the original GE bulb 75W on Brazil and I would like to know if it is possible to use a 60W or a 100W
    bulb instead. What's better?

Thank you very much.

Obede
    Brazil

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=ofsouto;611731Omega D-2V XL enlarger .... hard to get the original GE bulb 75W on Brazil ... possible to use a 60W or a 100W?[/QUOTE]

You can use either wattage. Remove any writing on the lamp with a kitchen scouring pad. Try to find a lamp that is white ("opal") rather than just frosted. If you can't find an opal lamp then there are some heavily frosted 'reader' lamps that may work better than an ordinary lamp.

I would place an order for a pair of proper PH212/150W enlarger lamps and use a regular lamp until the proper ones arrive.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    I seem to recall reading somewhere that ordinary household bulbs can work, but they tend to vary from one bulb to another in how even their illumination is. Thus, you might want to run tests with two or three bulbs to find the one that provides the most even illumination.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You even have to examine the proper bulbs as well, I have a 212 with a thin spot in the coating on one side, It makes nice dark fuzzy lines on the print. Rotating the bulb socket half a turn fixed the problem.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    I would place an order for a pair of proper PH212/150W enlarger lamps and use a regular lamp until the proper ones arrive.

I'm pretty sure that the D2-V normally uses the PH-211 75W bulb. The 212 would be really hot in that little light house...and give really short exposure times.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are three differences between a household incandescant bulb and the enlarger version:

-) the opalizing of the bulb
    -) the omission of the signing on top of the bulb
    -) the fact that enlarger bulbs filaments are designed for a lower voltage, which makes them burn at a higher temperature when switched to household current. This is intented by the manufacturer as it yields not only more radiation in general but a higher percentage of blue light which in addition will boost its photolytic activity. Of course the life-time of such a bulb will be much lower.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At www.fotoimpex.de you have bulbs by price of 9 EURO. They have 75w and 150w bulbs. So, order 10-15 pieces and you are good for rest of your life, and also buying more bulbs will make importing and transporting costs justified
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Acetone will remove the stamp on household bulbs.

Proper enlarging bulbs are better as they fit with the proper length and diameter and the coating is more even and thicker.

Adorama, B&H in New York ship internationally. So will Calumet Photo. Order all supplies and make one shipment.

The enlarger is made for 75 watt. 150 makes too much heat. a 150 and voltage reducer is a nice set up as the bulbs will last nearly forever. The reducer will solve the heat problem.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Moravec View Post
    Proper enlarging bulbs are better as they fit with the proper length and diameter and the coating is more even and thicker.
    Furthermore they are used voltage-overrated.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin