Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,858   Online: 943

Shooter
    35mm

Durst D659 calibration

Hi, I've just brought a durst D659 enlarger, but it came without lens's I've fitted my nikkor 50mm but am struggling to get focus. Has anyone got any idea how to calibrate the autofocus on this? It such a well built enlarger i'd love to be able to use it.

Many thanks Chris.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you have the factory lens carrier there are three phillips head and three slot head setscrews around the lens bore. Have the column lowered as far as it can go, the scale should be on "0" or close to it. Then try and adjust focus with the red rod between the lenses. It only moves the lens up, so if the image goes more out of focus, you have to loosen the philips head screws a 1/4 of a turn, then tighten the slot head screws till snug. Keep doing this till it pops into focus.

Focus the image on the baseboard, then you use the focus knob at the base of the column is to move the whole column up to move the focus plane up to the surface of the easel.

I have a D659 in the darkroom as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Send me your email address and I will send you a "copy" of the text of the users manual as a word format document.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Bob, I have a copy of the manual and adjusted the screws to the end of there travel but still out of focus, I have now added longer screws and am getting better results but in doing so have spaced the lens off at least 1/2 inch!!
    What lens are you using and have you had any problems with callibration or set up?
    I'm using the 35mm turret with 50mm lens with Difan 72 negative carrier.
    The lens carrier in the larger turret seems to have been adapted but I have'nt got a lens for that yet to try to see if its any better. (I did try the 50mm in it but out of focus)
    Regards Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The lenses in mine are the original Componons, the serial numbers match the nameplate. I have the stock ADANEV72 glass carrier. I made a 1.5mm thick aluminum mask to replace the lower glass for 35mm.

Here are the instructions for adjusting your carrier.

"For enlarging 35 mm film negatives without cover glasses, we recommend our special DIFAN 72 negative carrier, which can be supplied at an extra charge. It is suitable not only for 24x36 mm negatives, but owing to its built-in revolving mask, may also be used foi 24x24 mm negatives. Single 24x36 mm negatives can be inserted and centered conveniently by means of the clamping spring.
    The negative plane of the negative carrier DIFAN 72 must be adjusted to the plane of sharp focus of the automatic focusing mechanism.
    To do this, a focusing negative should be projected directly onto the baseboard with the enlarger head at the top of the column. If the image of the test-negative is unsharp, the height of the negative carrier should be regulated by turning the milled focusing ring to the right or left. This ring is then locked by the screw and the DIFAN 72 will then be correctly adjusted once and for all for all degrees of enlargements."

Sorry I can't help you more on this one. If you are handy with tools, you can modify an IXONEG or (TXONEG as a couple of ebay vendors have labeled it) carrier from a 606 to fit the 659. The lower half is identical to the 659 carrier, you have to remove the top containing a condenser lens and make a new part for it.

Is your manual paper or a scanned copy. The manual I have is the text of a pdf that google cached, and I put it in word and reformatted and fixed a whole bunch of typos.

I'll measure the registration thickness of the carrier I have and post it later. That way maybe you can get your lens back to something normal with the screws. It's also possible the lens flange to negative distance for the nikkor lens is quite different than whatever lens came with your enlarger when it was new. Durst used at least three different 50mm lenses in the beast.
    Last edited by Bob-D659; 04-05-2008 at 08:08 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Hi Chris,
    I have a Durst D659 sitting in my garage wrapped up and going spare. It is complete with a pair of Shneider Componar lenses mounted on a switchable lens mount. I bought it on impulse for £150 a few years ago and it has sat in the garage ever since. I have large trays and other bits and bobs. If you are interested let me know and I am sure we can come to an arrangement.
    Cheers Jim

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin