Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,570   Posts: 1,545,476   Online: 1204

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Beseler 4x5 Color Head Recommendations

Hi,

I'm saving up for a color head for my Beseler 45MXII. I used to own the old blue dichro head with hose assembly and all (I think that was a dichro DG?) and I thought it worked really well. Unfortunately I donated it when I graduated, since I didn't have a darkroom or enlarger for it (I just put it on the school's enlarger).

But now I have a darkroom! And I like printing color, so I'm in the market for a color head. I thought about using CP filters--but that's just not how I want to do things. I thought a 45S head would be nice--it's new and fancy looking, but it goes for $300 or more on ebay if it's in decent shape. So I'm wondering if purchasing the older model (I think they run around $100/$150, but they don't show up as often) might be the way to go, especially considering I have a kind of non-functioning DG head anyway, that I could use for parts. (kind of non-functioning means there's no vacuum unit or hose, it does power up, a bulb might be out, and it only has a 35mm mixing chamers--and I print medium format.)

I'd like to hear people's opinion if there's any reason to chose the newer model over the older one for anything other than looks. One thing to consider is I do have all of my darkroom equipment on one surge protector because there's no power in my storage unit, so I have a line running upstairs to a ground-fault interrupt outlet. There's no way to bring another line in from another outlet. So if the newer 45s colorhead is of a lower wattage than the old model, then that might be a reason to save up a bit longer.
    In the name of God, stop a moment, close your work, look around you. ~LEO TOLSTOY

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    i have one of those "old blue models" with the stablizer hose and all. it still works great.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The older dichro dg heads (with hose and blower) still work very well. I used one until recently. If you get one, be sure you get the hose and blower - they are needed with this model. The voltage stabilizer is not so important, but it's nice if it's in the package. Also be sure the transformer that hangs on the enlarger and connects between the line and the head is present and in good condition. The newer heads have a wider color correction range (handy for black and white) and do not require the external blower. They are mechanically quite stable, despite the internal fan, and are preferable to the older versions.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I just picked up a complete MX45 with a 45s head for $310 off eBay, it came with a few film holders and 3 lenses. It took a while to find, most of the time they are pick up only. This was a pick up only in Pacifica. So if you really want one just keep looking and one will turn up. I really liked the idea of the 45s because it is all one package.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 45S color head is a vast improvement from the DG. It is self-contained w/ it's own fan and voltage stabilizer. Under no circumstances should you get the Computer 45 head. It was a nice head when new but the electronics did not age well and most have many problems if they work at all. You should be able to pick -up a 45S head on Fleabay if you have patience.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ley View Post
    The 45S color head is a vast improvement from the DG. It is self-contained w/ it's own fan and voltage stabilizer. Under no circumstances should you get the Computer 45 head. It was a nice head when new but the electronics did not age well and most have many problems if they work at all. You should be able to pick -up a 45S head on Fleabay if you have patience.
    Ditto.

From my observations, a reasonable price for a used Dichro 45S on Ebay is $225 - 275.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a 45 head, the self contained model with the three knobs in the upper right and the white light lever under the right side. It was a computer board"s" model and it worked then didn't work. I gutted the boards and replaced that odd light, 83volt, with a direct connected bulb of the same color temperature and output but 120volts. I wired the fan with a direct connection also. So I have two plugins, one for the fan, on a timer, and the other to a timer that is connected to a Sola CVA. If a bulb goes out, I just put in another and I don't have to mess around with the circuit boards that loose connections at the terminals. Try to get a board for one and you will see how much fun and cost that will be.

Nearly anyone can put a halogen bulb in the socket and wire the socket for 120, with ground. The only thing to go out is the fan and the filters that will fade eventually.

I wonder how many people know that the light house can be modified for 5x7? With a 5x5 negative carrier a person could step up to 5x7 and make 5x5 negatives to print. Some like the square and 5x5 is a nice large size.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin