Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,545   Posts: 1,572,844   Online: 1012

Shooter
    Multi Format

Unicolor drum info needed

I have a unicolor print drum that I have not used before, and the drum has been sealed for some time, and the lids appear stuck to the cylinder. How do these lids come off?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The end with an intake spout rotates clockwise to tighten, and counter-clockwise to open. The fit is snug because the lid has tabs that lock onto corresponding lugs in the processor tube, and also because there are two gaskets that provide a tight seal around the lip of the tube. To install the lid/cover (or to detach it ) from the tube, I hold the tube against the side of my waist and then turn the cover. I find that I need the large contact surface of my body to provide the traction needed, particularly when using the 11x14 and 16x20 tubes.

I hope this helps.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dmax View Post
    The end with an intake spout rotates clockwise to tighten, and counter-clockwise to open. The fit is snug because the lid has tabs that lock onto corresponding lugs in the processor tube, and also because there are two gaskets that provide a tight seal around the lip of the tube. To install the lid/cover (or to detach it ) from the tube, I hold the tube against the side of my waist and then turn the cover. I find that I need the large contact surface of my body to provide the traction needed, particularly when using the 11x14 and 16x20 tubes.

I hope this helps.
    Yes, that helped, thanks! is the other flat lid removable from the drum also?

Shooter
    Large Format
    I don't think the other lid is removable. I've never been able to get it off at least. I like unicolor unidrums for 4x5 development, except that my very worn tank has a very worn gasket (the grey plastic disc inside the lid..). It leaks a lot. I've tried everything except cut a new gasket. Silicone sealant (don't try it), lightly heating it with a heat gun and stretching it (don't try it) etc. I just need to get a new drum. A good thing to do if you have some silicone lubricant spray, is to spray the outside top of the drum, inside of the lid and gasket. Makes getting the top on and off a lot easier. Also, two of the widest rubber bands that you can find will keep the drum from walking off the roller base. Lobster bands from the grocery store would probably do it. Hope that helps somewhat. I'm trying to remind myself that posting to APUG helps people. Otherwise i'd probably give it up.

Images
    Both my unicolor drums are a bear to get the top lid off.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have various sized drums from Beseler, Unicolor and Chromega. I vastly prefer the Chromega drums for processing film. Stay away from the Beseler. I don't know a source for new gaskets for the Unicolor drums, but they are so cheap on fee-Bay, that you might fetch as drum with a better gasket for what you would be willing to pay for the gasket alone.

Images
    Good Afternoon,

Deckled Edge is exactly right. The Chromega drum, assuming it has the necessary rods and spacer, can't be beat. No leaky gaskets to worry about; never a leak after using mine hundreds, if not thousands, of times over several decades.

Konical

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    when you use the drum, smear some vasoline on the gasket
    and receiving end of the drum. this will give you a seal and your drum
    should leak less than now ( or not at all ).
    mine leaked like mad ( both a roll film drum with a "plunger" and a paper / sheet film )
    and with vasoline they don't leak at all - sort of ...

good luck

john

Shooter
    Large Format
    I just cut out a new plastic gasket out of a plastic coffee can lid. It solved most of the leakage issues I had. Apparently there is a soft rubber gasket underneath this gasket that can also become compressed over time. I pulled it out and applied silicone sealant and then reapplied the soft rubber ring. In retrospect I should have applied a very thin layer of sealant and let it dry first before attaching the rubber ring on. I'll let you all know how it goes. If it doesn't work, I can always pull the silicone sealant up and try again.

Thanks to curuxa for the heads up, I really appreciate it!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin