Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,834   Online: 814

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Darkroom flashlight?

Friends -

I used to have a little item made by JOBO, I think, which was a very small flashlight with an OC-type filter in the light path. I've misplaced it, and could really make use of it for changing filtration while printing on VC paper.

Does anyone still make such a darkroom flashlight at a reasonable price? I've looked for red LED keychain lights without success.

Thanks,

Gary,
    East Snook, TX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I take an ordinary flashlight and put a cutout of a wratten 29 or 70 filter in the path. It makes a fine safe flashlight. At Kodak we had different flaslight covers for many different types of conditions. It is no big deal to make one. I have two.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I just use a regular flashlight to which I have glued a red safety filter onto the lens. I run a university darkroom and I have it on the wall in case someone drops something on the floor, or if we lose power, or an earthquake visits us, etc.

Vaughn

PS...the red safety filter is the one that comes with variable contrast filter sets.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I bought a nice little LED darkroom torch from RH Designs, a sponsor here. I love it..Evan Clarke

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    RH Designs makes a safe torch. I use one and it's pretty handy. Not sure if it this is what you're looking for, though
    http://www.rhdesigns.co.uk/darkroom/html/safetorch.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Many years ago I was given a large sheet of red acetate. I've made several darkroom flashlights by putting a small chip under the lens of an ordinary flashlight.
    Louie

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Resoman View Post
    I've looked for red LED keychain lights without success.
    Next time you're at a mall with a "Brookstone", check these out:

http://www.brookstone.com/store/prod...=Result*R1C1*T

I know, the website only offers blue and white, but I bought a red one at a store, and there were other colors available.

And, there's always the wratten filter over a flashlight.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought a couple of sheets of a graphic arts material called rubylith for patching up or making up safelight filters. a small piece under the lens of a flashlight makes a fine "safe" flashlight. Just don't point it directly at unexposed paper at close distance. That practice may not be so safe.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    Next time you're at a mall with a "Brookstone", check these out:

http://www.brookstone.com/store/prod...=Result*R1C1*T

I know, the website only offers blue and white, but I bought a red one at a store, and there were other colors available.
    Astronomy shops sell them too, probably cheaper than Brookstone (a red light doesn't blow out your night vision as badly as other colours).

Plus, some stores handle both scopes and cameras, so you can walk in for a cheap LED light and be seduced by a few expensive lenses while you're there. :-)

-NT

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    i bought a flashlight with red and blue filter covers -who the hell knows what they were supposed to do for you besides diminish light output- but I soon enough took it into the darkroom and then decided to put red vinyl tape over the filter to darken it some more. Works great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin