Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,938   Posts: 1,557,355   Online: 1189

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Nitrogen burst reel holder for Arkay 3.5 tank

Michael Robert Taylor
    Ottawa

I wish I'D said that.... Bartlett

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/browsei...imageuser=7358

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are indeed nitrogen burst racks made for 1 gal. tanks. Mine holds 5 4x5 individual holders. I've never tried it with reels. I don't believe they would go flat, and if inserted vertically, the agitation wouldn't be uniform.

I have the rack w/built-in nitrogen distribution for the 3 1/2 gal. tanks. You can put lots of reels in another rack that fits inside, or use 10 4-up holders for 4x5, but I learned early on that that uses more chemistry than I have film to process at one time.

Correction: I just tried it and found that although I couldn't put any reels side by side in my 1 gal. tank rack, I could stack them w/i the bounds of the rack. I can build a stack of 3 35mm or 2 120 reels. I never thought of that before.
    Last edited by alecj; 04-20-2008 at 11:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Alec

Shooter
    Large Format
    Where can I find the solenoid for the Nitrogen system? I have the tanks and plumbing, but I need the solenoid.
    —Eric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I have never seen a commercial nitrogen burst device for sizes such as 120 and 4x5, but we had hand made ones at Kodak. The sparger is the key item here and it can merely be a spiral of stainless steel tubing at the bottom of a graduate cylinder or beaker. Tiny holes in the sparger supply the route for the bursts and it works just fine. The end of the tubing is merely pinched off and sealed with some sealant such as epoxy, or welded shut.

PE

I would like to know more about low-volume and roll film processing with nitrogen burst. It sounds like it could be theoritically possible to retrofit a regular commercial darkroom tank for nitro burst. You would just need the sparger (and the nitrogen tank and solenoid) which I gather is SS tubing with holes in it? Using a regular darkroom tank you could then load the film, and dump and fill the tank with solutions, just like you normally do.

Quote Originally Posted by resummerfield View Post
    Where can I find the solenoid for the Nitrogen system? I have the tanks and plumbing, but I need the solenoid.
    You need a solenoid valve and an interval timer that you can wire to it.

I am sure that there should be plenty in the used market as Kodak made them as well as Calumet. I have a friend that has a interval timer and solenoid valve as well as a marvelous stainless Ted Pella 4x5 gas burst system. PM me if you are interested.

The other alternatives as I point out in my View Camera Article is California Stainless and Arkay.

Read the View Camera AND the Kodak technical publication and follow it to the letter. Gordon Hutchings states in his Book Of Pyro that there are more ways than you can possibly imagine to mess up with gaseous burst as you can imagine.

Gordon also says that it is impossible to use gaseous burst and pyro with conventional stainless steel hangers which fortunately is not true. Saves everyone from the considerable time and expense of having to fabricate tanks and plenums on their own.

No sense re-inventing the wheel.

Cheers!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We tossed 2 or 3 of these controllers when my uncle retired. I got his nitrogen tank.

As for small units, you can make a spiral out of 1/4" or 1/8" tubing with an outer spiral diameter equal to the size of the container you want to use such as a 400 ml beaker. Then you bend a right angle at the end of the spiral so it is an "L" shape with the spiral the lower bar of the "L" and the feed line coming in at the vertical end.

Then you drill holes in the top of the spiral in increasing diameter towards the center and then crimp and seal the center of the spiral.

Voila. A small scale nitrogen burst unit for 35mm or 120 in a 400 ml beaker.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    As for small units, you can make a spiral out of 1/4" or 1/8" tubing with an outer spiral diameter equal to the size of the container you want to use such as a 400 ml beaker.
    So it's a flat spiral, like an electric stove burner element?

Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, a flat spiral similar to the device illustrated in the photo on e-whatsit, above.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by resummerfield View Post
    Dear Erik,

Try www.mcmaster.com.

Neal Wydra

Quote Originally Posted by AMBYSTOMA View Post
    now that Jobo not longer manufactures or supports their manual rotary processors, does nitrogen burst processing offer an alternative - i.e., low chemistry volumes, suitable for the ocassional small volume processor of 120 and 4x5 and 8x10 negative film?
    For LF film, you might consider the tube developing system as sold by BTZS and Fred Newman at The View Camera Store. He is on the classifieds here, and if you click on the name and follow the messages you will be able to view a video which shows the method...seems to be fairly easy, and quite economical regarding volumes of chemistry.

Ed

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin