Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,157   Posts: 1,614,121   Online: 874

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    I have just had electricity put in mine, definitely worth getting a pro in. Mine is in the garage, I had a new ringmain and breaker put in with 4 normal sockets on the dry side and a double waterproof socket on the wet side (for warming trays) as well as 4 more sockets for utilities for the utilities, a new house circuit breaker all for £800.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jeezz, 800 pound, if you're not from the type electricuting himself when already thinking of changing a lamp and know what circuit breakers are for, installing a few extra waterproof sockets is not that difficult. Just buy the stuff that is available for outdoor usage, and make sure everything is connected up properly, including grounding. Especially if you don't plan to install kWatts of equipment, requiring a full new ringmain as suggest in the previous post, it is do-able.

But: of course safety first...

Shooter
    35mm
    Unfortunately any electrical work you do on your house now has to be done by a certified electrician, no more DIY re-wiring.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sausage100uk View Post
    Unfortunately any electrical work you do on your house now has to be done by a certified electrician, no more DIY re-wiring.
    That depends where you live. By your handle, I assume you are in the UK. In the states, depending on your municipality, you can do your own electrical. Yes, some require that an licensed electrician sign off on it, others just require an inspection. Same goes for plumbing as well.

If in doubt, call your local building inspector and they can tell you what is acceptable. I know (fairly certain) that Chicago required all wiring to be done with armored cable, while most areas NM (Romex) is all that is needed. Check your codes.

Jason
    Last edited by schwefel; 05-07-2008 at 07:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just finished my first home darkroom (in the basement), five months ago. The darkroom portraits thread was VERY helpful. Also...I was advised to create the largest wet area possible and I'm glad I did so. I print more 16X20's than anything else...and have the room to print 20X24.

While I was in the planning stages, I visited two accomplished photographer/printer's home darkrooms ..and once I saw that good printing does NOT require state of the art space, I relaxed a little and got to the printing much sooner. Good Luck.
    My Website

My Blog

"Let There Be Light" --God

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think Calumet has many darkroom items in their online catalogue and Freestyle.biz in L.A. has a good catalogue for various items. Ebay at times has enlargers at a great discount, too.

Shooter
    35mm
    It's not strictly true that the new UK regulations require all electrical work to be carried out by a qualified electrician. Minor works are allowed, and anything that is connected to a plug/socket is not controlled. As a Darkroom is unlikely to take more than 13 Amp, (in the UK) it's advisable to fit a socket that has a built-in ECLB and plug your Darkroom installation in to that. That has the advantage that you can completly isolate the equipment. Most equipment now is Double-Insulated, and if it isn't make sure that you fit a good Earth wire to it. A separate Earth is better than relying on the three-core cable.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I was in this situation and elected to build a darkroom a couple of years ago. I posted my thought processes, asked questions, and reported progress in a thread here on APUG. My intention was to leave a record of what it is actually like to try to put in a darkroom, with all the different things it entails. My situation in the frigid north is a bit different than many others' might be, but if you are interested in a long slow journey through the development of my darkroom, here it is. One thing that I have definitely noticed...it's never done. I just quit working on it for long periods due to the happy circumstance that I'm working in it. Wonderful complication, that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin