Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,916   Posts: 1,521,901   Online: 1076

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

An Actual Darkroom

I'll eventually be moving. When I move, I plan to build a dark room, probably in the basement of the house I would move into.

Does anyone know of any resources where I could find out general things I would need for a darkroom? Such as, how large should it be? What kind of entry? What kind of counter/sink setup? Silver recovery systems?

Basically, I want to know everything and anything about a home darkroom. I'm not very constructionally skilled, and by that, I mean I can't even make some shelves or a birdhouse, so I would have to have a contractor come out to section off parts of the basement.

So I'm at a total loss of what I need to know. What do I need? How much would it cost?

(I'd like to do color (slides and ilfochromes, I suppose), but it is not completely necessary, and if color would add some huge cost to the building of a darkroom, I would skip it.)

Thanks to all. I am so happy that I found this forum, without it, I would not have the knowledge that I do now. I've learned so much about film photography from so many people. I genuinely appreciate all of the help that I've been given, it has helped me a lot to better my own skills and give me goals, such as building a darkroom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AutumnJazz View Post
    I'll eventually be moving. When I move, I plan to build a dark room, probably in the basement of the house I would move into.

Does anyone know of any resources where I could find out general things I would need for a darkroom? Such as, how large should it be? What kind of entry? What kind of counter/sink setup? Silver recovery systems?

Basically, I want to know everything and anything about a home darkroom. I'm not very constructionally skilled, and by that, I mean I can't even make some shelves or a birdhouse, so I would have to have a contractor come out to section off parts of the basement.

So I'm at a total loss of what I need to know. What do I need? How much would it cost?

(I'd like to do color (slides and ilfochromes, I suppose), but it is not completely necessary, and if color would add some huge cost to the building of a darkroom, I would skip it.)

Thanks to all. I am so happy that I found this forum, without it, I would not have the knowledge that I do now. I've learned so much about film photography from so many people. I genuinely appreciate all of the help that I've been given, it has helped me a lot to better my own skills and give me goals, such as building a darkroom.

You can't go far wrong with the darkroom portraits thread here.. http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/1...portraits.html
    It gave me all I needed to set mine up.
    Good luck and enjoy!

Síle
    Síle

If you saw a man drowning and you could either save him or photograph the event...what kind of film would you use?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Try this thread for starters. Kodax produced a book on darkroom construction that you may find helpful so check out their web site as well.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/1...portraits.html
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    35mm
    ...Kodax? Do you mean Kodak?

http://www.amazon.com/Building-Home-.../dp/0879857463

?

What about this?
    Last edited by AutumnJazz; 05-05-2008 at 02:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.

RJS

Shooter
    Multi Format

darkroom

Most photo stores have books among which there are probably at least one or two on darkroom design and construction. If your local store doesn't have any try Google for some - I'm sure you will find a bunch. Ansel Adams has information in his books - the supply is endless.

Have a good time and don't worry about being unskilled. You will learn as you go. Contractors in my experience are not only expensive but not much good. For major stuff you may need one, but you can do most yourself. Adding color requires not much different depending on how far you want to go.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

?

What about this?
    I think that's what they are called; small company, used to make film and paper.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

?

What about this?
    And that's the book I meant.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

You an I are in the same boat.

I will 2nd the portaits thread. Look through the pictures and get a feel for what looks good to you. And what does not look good, as well. Here is some practical advice, other than the wet/dry side, etc.

Start accumulating the equip you need. You can afford to be patient and wait for a good deal. Last month I scored mostly complete set of darkroom equip, including a Beseler 45M and 4 lenses for under $250 off of Craigslist. I have a line on a 6ft sink that I will look at when I get home. Yeh, all the stuff is going into storage, but there is a method to my maddness. (It is coming, keep reading.)

Remember there is no such thing as too big a darkroom. However, even if there is no SO who will object to space utilization, making your whole basement into a darkroom/studio is not practical. So, when you finally get the place and have a general idea where you will be able to build your darkroom, do this:

Get some painters plastic, sheets, or whatever you can use to simulate walls. Staple to the ceiling/joists if you have to. Make some makeshift counter tops out of whatever. (Cardboard will work.) Take your enlarger, sink, whatever you have accumulated and set it up on whatever will support the weight. (Use this determine the best working height fo you and your equipment. This is *your* darkroom, find the height that works best for you. Conversely, you do no want to build a counter and find out that there is not enough clearance for the enlarger. Anything you do not have, simulate with boxes, or whatever.

Don't forget about a lit work area, if you have the room. If you can, you want a place for an area to mount/frame, a light table, storage units, etc. I fridge, film dryer, and the other stuff is also good to have as well. Play around with the layout. Find the best way to use the space.

While you are doing all that, do not forget to take into acount plumbing lines (supply, drain AND vent), electrical, doorways and so on.

Once you have settled on a layout, sketch it out and make a bill of materials and start building.

Sorry to be so verbose, but that is exactly what I plan on doing when I get my new place. Have to sell the current house first, though. (Had a showing yesterday, 2 more later this week. Keeping my fingers crossed.)

Jason

Shooter
    35mm
    Outside of building the darkroom, what should I budget for things like an enlarger (although Manhattan seems to have a crap load of enlargers for sale pretty cheap...but that's a long drive, and with gas like it is...), steel reels, developing tanks, etc.? Right now I only do 35mm, but I'd like to get into medium format and large format some day. Should I just go out and buy stuff that will work with large format (4x5? 8x10?) all the way down to 35mm, or are prices continually falling so it would be a better idea to just get 35mm stuff now and invest into the bigger formats when I'm able to get into them?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Outside of building the darkroom, what should I budget for things like an enlarger ?
    If starting from scratch, keep your eyes on e-bay and craigslist for someone who is selling an entire darkroom with all the bits and pieces. As you noted, there are a lot of good deals out there. Look for something that is local, or you will be killed by the shipping. A lot of the little things will add up to a lot of money if purchased separately, but they tend to be tossed in for free if you are buying the major items in the darkroom.

I do not print colour - I process and print B&W, and I process colour transparancy film which I scan and print digitally. To process colour film, having a Jobo processor makes your life much easier - I highly recommend them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin